Existing Member?

Birth of a Nomad

Birth of a Nomad

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [175] | Scholarship Entry

My alarm went off at 4am, but I had been awake for an hour already. I was stressing about whether or not I had packed enough pairs of socks (I had), if my phone was charged (it wasn't), and whether or not I was going to survive my first trip away from home.

So many first time travel stories start with the author gushing about their long time lust for travel, how they’d been itching to get going, and how a flicker of doubt had never crossed their mind because the excitement of travel was racing through their veins.

My first time travel story is not quite as idealistic or romantic. In all honestly, I was absolutely terrified about the prospect of going to Cambodia, somewhere very far from home, and very different to anything I had experienced before.

To be frank, one of the reasons I had chosen Cambodia was because so many people who knew me well had reacted with a giggle when I told them I was planning a trip to somewhere as diverse as South East Asia. I was excited about the experience, however I was definitely harboring a decent load of nerves (and 3 packets of Shapes, 2 packets of M&Ms and 4 packets of Starburst…because you never know what the food will be like in a foreign country).

Even before we left the Siem Reap airport, I couldn't believe how different this country was compared to Australia. The runway was small, the climate was humid, and customs consisted of A6 sized forms being dropped into an unmanned box. Waiting outside for us were two friendly Khmer, who helped us into a tuk-tuk, our luggage balancing precariously as we navigated around cows and bike riders to our hotel.

Volunteering for two weeks in a third world country was always going to be a challenge, and it was. However, after attempted bag snatches, sicknesses, and confusion about one way roads, I emerged from my trip to Cambodia in love with the country and its people.

I will never forget the beautiful children who I taught English and maths to, who had nothing but interest about our lives at home (and wonder as to why we weren’t married yet, because we were already 19). I will never forget swimming in a beautiful, freezing cold waterfall, with fish nibbling at my toes, and revelling in the feeling of living completely in the moment.

I'll never forget my trip to Cambodia because that is when I can truly say a nomad was born.

And next time, after loving a diet of dishes such as Khmer Amok and an abundance of rice, I won't be packing the lollies.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About laurasearle


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.