Existing Member?

The natural global phenomenon of Skocjan Caves

Skocjan Caves

SLOVENIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [76] | Scholarship Entry

I chose to visit the Skocjan caves based on what I had seen about it on the internet, it was the less easy of the Slovenian caves as the Postojna Caves not too far away have a train running through. But since the Skocjan caves are a world heritage site described as "a natural phenomenon of global significance" I decided it was worth the effort. It wasn't easy getting to the caves as the closest train stops around a 45 minute walk away and being off season, the shuttle bus wasn't running often and since I wanted to do both walks I had to be there mid morning. I also couldn't have chose a worse day, pouring with rain and blowing a gale I really hoped it was worth all this effort. So after a long bus ride from Ljubliana and a 45 minute walk to the cave entrance with my pocket umbrella that kept flipping inside out, I arrived and bought a ticket to walk both trails. The first trail was mostly outside along the Reka river, and inside an open cave. Set in the natural bush it was beautiful. It took around 1.5 hours to walk this trail. But the second trail was truly stunning through the caves, thousands of stalactites and stalacmites and I entered into the largest underground canyon in Europe. It was truly breathtaking, with the river running down the bottom. I was able to brave a fear of heights I have and cross the bridge through the canyon. It was definitely worth the trek through the rain, mud and wind to get there and definitely lived up to its expectations of a world phenomenon. I would do it again if I return to the beautiful country of Slovenia.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About laurapandorabox


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.