Existing Member?

A Little Slice of the Lake District

Sarah Nelson's Grasmere Gingerbread

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

Sarah Nelson’s Grasmere Gingerbread is a renowned, spicy, yet sweet taste sensation which draws many a tourist to its little hide out in Grasmere. My better half and I decided one balmy warm afternoon to venture out in search of this local treasure that has acquired both national and worldwide acclaim.
Wandering around the quaint narrow streets in the centre of the village it didn’t take long before we landed ourselves in a queue of tourists that snakes its way around St Oswald’s Church. This in many respects is the start of the experience, where you can view the headstones of the Nelson family members including that of the late Sarah Nelson herself. Edging closer to Church Cottage, it seems a little surreal that this small residence has been attracting masses of tourists since it started producing the treat in 1854. Once inside it’s in amazement that they encourage groups and coach trips, as it is so small and quaint. It eludes charm with its white stone walls, Victorian style counter service and sales staff dressed in attire that reflects the garments that Mrs Nelson would have worn at the time. They do say that good things come in small packages and it is little wonder that the shop frequents many a well known face including the likes of Tom Cruise and Renee Zellweger.
Once our stomachs can take no more of the attractive fragrance of this delicacy we follow the waft of scent out of the door. Each carrying a bag filled with more than an adequate supply of gingerbread we head straight next door to the Wordsworth Hotel for afternoon tea on the Garden Terrace, with you guessed it, none other than the local choice of edible accompaniment to a fine English cup of tea. Perhaps next time we frequent this little slice of heaven, we’ll choose to visit in early spring before the masses arrive and a perfect time to see the daffodils in bloom, the inspiration behind William Wordsworth’s well known poem.
To make the most of your visit, stay at The Daffodil Hotel & Spa and play a game of hide and seek in search of the Banksy inspired art randomly located around the property - Rates from £104 per room per night. Reach the tranquil village by train to Windermere (direct route available from Manchester International airport) and then catch the regular Stagecoach 555 or the open top 599 bus to Grasmere centre. If you can, avoid the school and bank holidays as the location is a honey pot for tourism and a magnet for traffic delays.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lauraknipe


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.