Existing Member?

plant seeds sing songs "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." ~Edward Abbey

Trading aloha for hola

MEXICO | Thursday, 19 March 2009 | Views [444] | Comments [1]

(Thanks Cody, for the inspiration)

"Do you realize? that you have the most beautiful face? Do you realize? We´re floating in space? Do you realize? That everyone you know someday will die, so instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that life goes fast, it´s hard to make the good things last, you realize the sun doesn´t go down, it´s just an illusion caused by the world.....spinning ´round"      -the flaming lips

The last few days on the farm were perfect (of course, nothing is ever easy,is it, and leaving is no different). I had finally achieved that sensation of feeling in synch with the place-the space-the island-the farm-my friends.

Saturday morning harvest was often preceeded by smiles and coffee and a quick breakfast in the kitchen, and often followed by smiles, coffee, and pancakes in the kitchen. (this became a ritual with one kindred spirit- partners in crime with an indulgent streak that we nurtured with salty hashbrowns and honeyed banana walnut (and sometimes chocolate) pancakes)

My heart was warmed by the potluck jam session that was publicized by Marta, supported by everyone, and attended by all plus some. The food was amazing: pasta with fresh veggies from the farm, salads of all types, guacamole, and even veggie burgers with homemade ketchup. The flavors of the desserts blew my mind and put smiles on everyone´s faces. The creators are true raw food artists, and why not? Food can be-should be-is beautiful and inspiring in its simplicity.

We jammed for hours without fear or shame, moving on to our spirits now that our bodies were nourished. I sang (sort of) I played drums and a cheese grater, I fumbled around with a mandolin, and I even sat down at the drum kit once things were dying down. Even as all of those wonderful and now familiar faces wandered off into the dark night of a new moon, back to their corners of a farm that is perfectly mapped out in my mind, I could still feel the unity of our opening circle. Six of us were going forward (the only direction we can go) into the world, and everyone present vocalized their appreciation for the space and time we shared together........

One rockin´ beach party and a small pizza dinner later, I suddenly found myself in LA. It was great to hang with old family friends, and Malani, Rachel, Jonathan and I all decided that we might as well be siblings. (If you find yourself enjoying someone else´s famliy album as if it were your own, you know that you are on the right track)

They showed me the town all right, and I traded in my flip-flops for high heels (when in Rome...) I went out dancing with the gay boys of WEHO (West Hollywood) cooked wondefully homey dinners, drank wine and had an amazing movie marathon. Four days, that´s all. And now I am in Mexico, mom just left after a week of non-stop fun and adventure the likes of which many mothers and daughters will envy...to be continued.......

Comments

1

Great title for the journal entry. As for surf spots in Mexico, ask around for the best way to Rio Nexpa in Michocan. It's a great, empty left point-break. The locals, Mario and Flaco are some of the warmest people I've met. Another spot to check out is La Ticla at the southern end of Jalisco. Visit Amalia, and if that three legged mutt kick-stand is still alive give it a pat on the head for me (but be sure to wash your hands afterward). These two spots are out of the way and have several different areas to surf on, matching your prowess from beginner-rollers to advanced barrels. Oaxaca is another great state for surf, but is more crowded than Michocan and Jalisco and isn't the best place for a beginner to hone her wave riding skills. Be sure to ask all the locals you meet about the game Teto (jk).

feliz viajandos (I think that's the correct way to say it),
Danny

  Danny Mar 20, 2009 9:51 AM

About lararaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.