Existing Member?

plant seeds sing songs "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." ~Edward Abbey

living aloha

USA | Tuesday, 3 February 2009 | Views [640] | Comments [1]

Well, as many of you know by now, I am not in Mexico! I found an awesome farm on Kaua'i, and it all fell into place for me to stay here in a matter of two days! I am trying to proceed through this adventure by following the signs instead of sticking to a rigid plan made months in advance when I had no idea of how I would feel in the moment.

     As my departure date crept up on me I was learning to surf, making new friends, and traveling about on the island on my own via bus, ect while Kaya and Mike worked. I experienced the sensation more than once in my solo endeavors that the island loved me, and wanted me to stay. In a more practical sense, I had the thought that there was a lot for me still to do here.

     I started calling farms out of the phone book, and I was directed to an organization called Malama Kaua'i. Malama means "to care for" and they are working to create a network of sustainable projects on the island. The gal there gave me the names and phone numbers of several small-scale organic farms, and the farm I am now living on was one of these. Actually, Marta, the farm owner, was the only person who answered my call, and she said that I could come and work the next morning.

     This was Monday, I went and worked on Tuesday, and moved into a tent on the farm on Wednesday...the day that I was supposed to fly to LA! It just all fell into place. That is a motto for how I want to live my life right now. If you are fighting too hard for something, then maybe it's not what you actually need, but if you let things just flow, then the right things happen. I am still looking forward to heading to Mexico in March. I will meet up with Mom for a week in Guadalajara, what better way to start! Then I hope to re-schedule my stay at the bio-dynamic farm in Michoacan.

     I am still figuring this blog thing out, but i have some pictures to add to this entry. One of me waiting at the fruit stand out on the main road for my new friend to pick me up for surfing. (I have been loaned a long board, 9.2 feet) ...i will dedicate a post to my surfing soon. A picture of my camp on the farm (29 acres of fruit trees and organic veggies, we harvest every morning but Sunday and sell at farmer's markets, to grocery stores and restaurants) A picture of my farm friends/"room" mates at the park after a saturday afternoon bike ride into town for ice cream.... A picture of the communal kitchen and the kitchen garden.

     I am finally starting the understand the lay of the land on the farm after two weeks, and as I discover the special places and "see" the farm for the life it holds, I find that it is more and more beautiful to me. I just made a contribution to our kitchen garden by planting several cloves of garlic for chives. The bulbs don't really ever grow here, fungus get to them, but chives will be lovely to cook with! Ok, i am getting shifty in front of the "oracle" as mom calls it, so i gotta go! Love to all, and more to come!

Aloha, Lara

 

Comments

1

this blog needs paragraphs and pictures. (complaining is just my way of saying I'm hella jealous) Always thought I'd dig surfing, but then there's the whole "enormous, blood-thirsty, razor-toothed, giant shark thing" that gives me pause. Althea told me to tell you that she misses you, but I think she's just being polite, 'cause I can see in her eyes that she's quite happy here. I kid. We all miss you and are psyched on your journey. Later dude,
phillip

  phillip Feb 7, 2009 12:33 PM

About lararaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.