Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Koh Lanta & Trip

THAILAND | Monday, 12 January 2009 | Views [644] | Comments [5]

 

Our trip to Koh Lanta was our first experience with cheap bus rides in Thailand! We were told to arrive at the travel agency at 5:30, so we did. We sat around in the sunshine for half and hour and then were taken on a short walk to the bus station. The station was in an open area with fans and a big t.v., - it was fun to watch the Thai commercials! We ended up waiting, and waiting, and waiting in that bus stop until 7:30. By this time we were pretty tired again. We walked a few blocks to our parked bus. Our first impression, of the front of the bus, was that is was so dented in front, ahha, it was actually really funny—really assuring. They were taking our bags to store at the bottom, but Dave and I having little experience with exactly this type of thing, didn’t back a ‘day bag’ so we didn’t want to check our bags. We brought our bags onto the bus  and I immediately realized our mistake. The isle between the seats on the bus was tiny. I was actually stuck, right away. I couldn’t move at all with out knocking people on each side of me, and the space was too tight to take my bag off.  So, I just had to take a deep breath, and I quickly walked to the back of the bus, lightly bashing everyone I passed, Jeeeeeze!

Dave and I were among the last on this bus too, so we didn\t get to sit together =( I was really disappointed, cause it was a long bus ride and it’s so much easier to sleep next to someone you know, he wasn’t too far though, just across the isle. So I STRUGGLED to get seated with my huge bag. Dave was able to put his bag by his feet, but the spacing on the bus was really un-even, and so there was not enough room for me feet and bag, I had to carry it on my lap, and it was, horribly uncomfortable. Soonafter the bus left I had to go pee! And anyone that knows me well, knows I always have to pee, and can’t rest until I do. So I heaved the bag up onto the seat and went to the bathroom, which was at the bottom of the bus. The room was so small I had to actually duck to get in. It smelled awful, and was wet and dirty. The bus was moving around Bangkok, and I had to try to tie my ‘thai pants’ up, totally disoriented and trying not to let the long strings of my pants touch the ground—it took about 10 minutes. Hehehehe. Oh also, our seats were right next to the toilet, so we got to smell strong warm pee our whole trip! Luckily about 2 hours in we stopped at a pit stop for 30 minutes for toilets and refreshments. Dave and I quickly made up a day bag with stuff we wanted on our ride, and were able to put our big bags with the rest of the luggage. So happy, we learned our lesson there, pretty much always have out day bags ready to go. The rest of the bus ride was a lot more tolerable without the burdon of our larger packs on our lap. I 1got a bit of sleep, but not neary as much as I would had Dave been beside me. The man beside me was larger and older, so he made a lot of weird sounds that I couldn’t sleep to!

 

At about 7AM we stopped at another rest stop. It actually felt quite amazing to be there. We were more south so it was soo warm, but comfortable warm, and the bugs were screeching music Ive never heard before and there was perfect morning sunlight. All the travelers just sat around for another half hour or so outside, while people organized us, gave us name tags with our destinations written on them. Then slowly, in groups of about 3-6 people were taken away in different trucks and Vans to continue onto their chosen destination. Our group was one of the last to leave, it was Dave and I and about 7 other people, in a very large van. Dave and I were lucky enough to ride in the front! This was about a 2 hours drive, a beeeautiful drive! It reminded me of driving along the island, but instead of north American trees, it was mainly palm trees and other tropical trees, and not spaced out, thick, deep forest of palms and plants. And tone of local shacks and beautiful houses and streetside markets. Lots of random cooking and streetsides too, seemingly in the middle of nowhere there’d be a lady cooking on the side of the road. Everyone here rides motorcycles too, and the whole family packs on, I;ve seen many mums, dads, and 2-3 kids on one cycle.

 

At about 10:30am we arrived to another very hot destination, here they divided us up even more, and after half an hour dave and I and 2 others were taken in the back of a truck, with a canopy and seats to the ferried. On girl got off, and then there was 3. We drove some more, this was my favourite ride, it was so nice and cool with the open breeze, we arrived somewhere else, even more hot, and got into a van with about 8 more people! So many transfers (Dave sister says it<s this way to make the most of the money) Then we drove drove drove, for a long time, I think finally arounf 1:00 we were on our first ferry, a quick ride to a tropical island, drove across the island, took another ferry and finally we are on Koh Lanta! A Guy in a truck than asked where we needed to go, and it was a 2 minute drive to Blue Planet divers, where Laura and Laurent work.

 

It is so hot here, I love it. On our first night here, last night, Laura and Laurent were having a sort of work party, so it was nice to have some drinks and eats lots of good food, but Dave and I were pretty  tired, so we ended up crashing at 10. ahha Oh, last night, before the party, we went on a ride ( they have tuk tuk!) to go pick up ice. On our way, I couldn`t effing believe my eyes, we saw an elephant!!! I didn`t think I`d see one so soon! It was right off the road, in a yard! So close to me, like a cow would be! I squeeled, and then Laurent pointed out the baby!!! Eeeee, I got to see an elephant and her baby on my first day here, but just drove passed. Can<t wait to go back and take photos.

 

Today we all woke up nice and slow, had a big breakfeast then I read in the sun for a while. By afternoon Dave, luara, Thale and I went to the beach. There was a restaurant and bar and ,assage area right on the beach.  It was your classic picture perfect beach. White sand with beautiful crushed shells, blue and turquoise water, and sun and blue sky with fluffy clouds. We swam and read and relaxed, and went for lunch right on the beach. Made out way home and Showered, and now we are just relaxing. Getting used to being on vacation. We are meeting up with a friend in a day or two who has been to Thailand a few times, so he`ll be able to show us around a bit, do some day trips. It`s beautiful here. A small island with locals, and tourists, the sand along the roads is orange and it is lush everywhere. Ahhhhh

 

Comments

1

Wow, Landon, this all brings back so many memories!! So glad you are both enjoying it so much. Remember, I mentioned Funky Fish to you and how beautiful it was. Unfortunately, we only got to go there once because the
roads leading into the place were absolutely unpassable.(Rain had made them very muddy). After we left, Laura told me they found a way to go there from the beach, wouldn't you know? Anyway, enjoy the massages...I had the best ever foot massage there.
I can see that you will be keeping up your writing so I'll be checking out this site frequently. I've already looked on David's and nothing so far. Tell him to get busy....lol. Love..xo

  Bert Jan 12, 2009 5:10 AM

2

eehehe!
reading your entries was a great start to my day!

"so he made a lot of weird sounds that I couldn’t sleep to!"

lal!

  amyyy Jan 12, 2009 7:50 AM

3

I love reading your blog, it is so descriptive that I can actuallly visualize your journey! An elephant and her baby! EEHHHH!!!

Love mom!

  KAREN SPENRATH Jan 12, 2009 9:29 AM

4

Hi Landon, Andrew gave me your blog address. Great story, I can relate to your bus adventure as I am over here now for my 4th trip.
Have fun and be safe - by the way, I hope you are not wearing any gold jewellery, some Thai's are very desperate during these times.
Cheers!

  Howard Jeglum Jan 16, 2009 3:41 PM

5

hehe! It's really neat to see you comment here! Thanks for the advice. I'm really loving it here, what part of thailand is it you go to while you're are here?

  landon_marie Jan 17, 2009 11:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.