Existing Member?

On a mission to expolre the world

Catching a Moment - Catching Iruya

ARGENTINA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [315] | Scholarship Entry

It was spur of the moment. I was sitting in an old local bus on the way to Iruya, an isolated mountain village in Northern-Argentina. I was sitting with my Argentinos, my travel buddies whom I met on my travels in Argentina. Diego, el Proffe, and Kevin and Lucas, the self-intitled rednecks. In the bus were other travellers and locals. The night before we had decided to go to Iruya and early next morning we left from the bus station of Humahuaca, excitied for the fifty kilometers adventurous journey ahead.

The ride was bumpy.The roads were narrow and curvy. The view was amazing. Coming from Iceland I was used to driving narrow, bumpy roads. But Diego, coming from the flat Buenos Aires area, had never driven roads like this. He was both scared and excited. It was fun sharing this experience with him and see his face light up more as he got used the roads.

Seeing Iruya from afar was a thrilling sight. The small village surrounded with mountains of brown and redish colour. After checking in a hostel, we were ready to explore. We walked the narrow cobblestoned streets, took pictures, looked at the houses, talked with friendly locals and played with few kids. Iruya, like many villages in North Argentina, is mostly populated by indigenous, making it different from the typical Argentina most people get to know.

We walked up to the viewpoint where a big white cross stands. There we met other fellow travelleres. Everyone enjoying the scenery and trying to capture it on pictures. It was a task nearly impossible. We saw few condors fly around. We watched the kids play football and cheered them on.

The next morning we woke up early to hike up a mountain to get even greater view then the day before. We were all in awe with the incredible beauty when we reached the viewpoint. The mountains. The different types of rocks. The river. The village like it´s carved in nature. I could feel how proud my Argentine friends were of their country. Kevin hiked higher up the mountain. Diego walked further. Lucas found a place somewhere in the gras. I sat on the rocks. All of us taking it all in.

On the bus on the way back I am reminded on why I like travelling so much. It is getting spontainiously to a place like Iruya, a place I had never heard of. A place that by surprise completely takes your breath away. It is sharing moments with friends you make on the road. It is forming that special connection with the people and the places. I am glad that I caught Iruya.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About laluna82


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.