Existing Member?

Let go, let flow

If you could tell me why

INDIA | Tuesday, 20 October 2009 | Views [340]

Water. 

No 'please' no 'thank you.'

No acknowledgment of interaction. If you could tell me why...

I am supposed to serve you, I am expected to clean while you sit around and do nothing. Why women have to leave their homes when they marry and somehow, despite the constitution, a transaction is exchanged for the honor of a good husband.

Why Dia chechy's mother-in-law won't let her wash anything but bedsheets in the washing machine, despite the fact that she goes to work at 5am and then class, and then cooks dinner and cleans and you insist she must pray as well - and go to bed early. And she is pregnant.

Could you tell me why, when your here you don't seem to lift a finger, do a dish or help cook, and then complain about the state of India.

Can you explain to me why I should wear a necklace and earrings, while you are expected to wear nothing more than a piece of cloth. Not even a shirt is required of you.

Why John-uncle hasn't learned to make chai or if he has he commands others to do so. Why, if Pushpy-auntie works all day, should she cook and clean all night, if John-uncle doesn't do a thing. 

Why, when I go to Auntie's house, do I sit with her annoying husband while she makes tea? Why my Aunties weren't taught, don't use, or aren't confident in their English abilities, while my Uncles have no qualms.

Because I don't mind, and in fact quite enjoy, cooking and cleaning - but I won't always get you water, unless you tell me why.

About lakisarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.