Existing Member?

The Simple(r) Life Shangrila!

Home has four wheels and they go round and round

USA | Saturday, 6 August 2011 | Views [263]

When I heard that wolf howl right by camp, it was magical.  I really can't even describe how amazing it was, it felt like I was part of this world again.  So many times I think we are sucked out of the very place we live, it feels more artificial than incredible.  But that, that snapped me back to this kind of truer, deeper reality.  Kyle said he'd heard wolves growing up, camping in the northwoods.  I don't think it had quite the same effect on him as it did me, he was hoping for the bear.  Plus, I can't say that the hair on the back of my neck didn't stand up a little at first, I think he was probably saying that so I wouldn't freak out. But for some reason I wasn't scared at all, just at peace. 

 Summer has been a whorl wind tour of some of the most amazing parts of this country,  most I have never seen.  And although living out of a car going on five months now does have its downfalls once in a while, it is also pretty sweet!  We left the Mojave in June with really no definite plans except one music festival in the Rockies and an idea to head east towards water and trees (hitting Zion and the Grand Canyon on our way of course, it wouldn't be a proper road trip without these friends).  Nothing disappointed.  Amazing bluegrass in Telluride, time with family and friends in Colorado, driving to Wisconsin where the cheese curds are delicious!  The people definitley have a overall kind energy and they love summer.  Aapparently its the best thing ever after, what I'm told are, pretty crappy winters.  We floated rivers on inner tubes, stubling across a big party in the middle of the water, jumped on boats, went to the biggest water park in world and generally just tried to escape the humidity and the mosquitoes. 

Headed north towards Canada, dipping toes in Lake Superior and relishing the beauty and solitude of the Boundary Waters.  This trip was so amazing and one I hope to do again and again.  There aren't many places where you travel miles and miles through a maze of rivers, lakes and islands.  Where Loons glide by, wild blue berries go from plant to mouth, you may see no one for days and wolves prevail!  Eating fresh caught (by Kyle!) northern pike fish burritos and staring, mouth agape in awe, at the unreal colors of the setting sun.  In love with this place.  Our boat was pretty heavy though and it made the portadges a little strenous.  I think next time it will be wise to invest in a lightweight boat...

In Florida now, floating in the warm blue waters of the Gulf.  I had no idea how beautiful it was here, always just thought it was for the old people, no offense.  Took an air boat through the Everglades, saying hello to some personable and pretty alligators.  Kayaking through mangroves tunnels and meeting more of Kyle's friends and family  while checking out Sarasota's food and drink culture.  The sea food!  So good.  Watching shark week when we swim in the ocean everyday...not good:)  

Heading to Ohio next for the annual get together, which is always a highlight. Then back to work in the Mojave in September.  Man time flies!  May be looking forward to a real home and bed for winter.  But you never know when those wheels will start to role!  It really is such an important way for me to reconnect with my world and fall in love with it all over again.  Here's some photos of the crazily different stops we've made...hope summer has been full of adventures for all!

Everglades

Everglades

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.