Existing Member?

Unexpected turn of events

Thirsty travellers with water around them.

PAKISTAN | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [296] | Scholarship Entry

It was a bright sunny day in Parachinar valley. We set on road towards our family farm house to collect some vegetables for dinner. It was far but we decided to walk. Along the way maple trees tunnelled the road. Sun rays beamed through gap of leaves shinning the road. Rays flickered along with the sound produced by branches and leaves brushing each other synchronizing with the flow of streams at both sides of the road.
It all seemed dramatic and I felt as if the time has come still and seconds have changed to hours. Our pet dog led our way and at times came back as if to check on us and after satisfying led again, repeating his drill till we reached our farm. We were on farm for around 3 hours harvesting and taking pictures of ourselves and beautiful scenery. We felt thirsty but did not care because we knew about a water well nearby from where we will have cold fresh water to quench our thirst.
When we finished our work and captured some memorable moments in camera we felt even thirstier so we first went towards the water well which was at 10 minutes distance. By this time our throats and mouths were dry and felt thorn like. We all were in great pain. We forgot how beautiful the scenery was. But, at last we did manage to get to the well. It was under a shady tree. Some of us stood in the shadow of the tree whereas I dropped a leather bucket into the well and after a while pulled it out when it felt heavy. After pulling rope for couple of yards I could feel coldness of water as the rope had soaked in well’s cold water.
I could imagine the coldness and sweetness of water in my mouth and throat, Ah! Everyone was eager to see a glimpse of water, to end their thirst and for that started to prepare for it. Finally, the long waited bucket came out with all its glory. My cousin got hold of the bucket and before pouring it into one of our waiting palms we saw two rotten frogs floating on the surface of water.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About laila


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.