Existing Member?

Ushuaia, At the World's End

Ushuaia

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 5 May 2015 | Views [180] | Scholarship Entry

There must be a reason if they call it “La Fin del Mundo", and you definitely need to get here to fully understand the feeling of being at the edge of everything, mountains, roads, sea, life.
In Ushuaia the “World's End" doesn’t only have a geographic importance, but it hides different meanings for those who manage to make it to the southern tip of the South American continent, to the last piece of land where humankind has been able to settle.
When I arrived in town I was tired; the bus from Rio Gallegos was one of the worst trips I have had so far. It was a cramped 12 hour ride on bumpy roads, crossing the Argentinian and Chilean borders and dealing with the associated bureaucratic nightmare and, upon my arrival, there was a snow storm waiting for me. It was like being thrown into another dimension, a far cry from the heat and tropical soul typically associated with South America. Despite this, the chilly feel in the air was telling me I had made it, I was at the End of the World.
A Patagonian man on the bus told me Ushuaia is "pintoresqua", and that is the best way to describe it. Ushuaia is picturesque indeed; the Andes end their journey in its blue and cold waters in front of Antarctica, after having run the length of the continent, mirroring the journey of all those travelers who have come to see it. In April, with fewer tourists, the town is quiet and peaceful. With the bad weather the clouds give it an atmosphere of mystery. It seems they almost try to hide it so that the summer tourists can go away and leave it in peace. With the sun, instead, it shines in all its beauty. The Nature here is at its peak. Everything is uncontaminated, extreme and breathing freedom. Penguins, cormorano, sea lions choose this place as their homeland. On the boat, sea lions were following us playing like dolphins. Some plants seen on a small island grow 1 mm in a milion years, so that touching them feels like touching the world’s creation. That’s the mystic power of this place: everything here seems in touch with the primordial creation, it all seems to have been attending it.
Here you get the feeling of the real meaning of distance, time, beauty, life. Here nothing else seems to matter, the rest of the world, the rest of your life, the rest of the people, everything is called the rest over here, and it’s not even as important as it is in the daily life. Maybe that’s the secret beauty of Ushuaia, here everything ends, even your problems and thoughts.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lafindelmundo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.