Existing Member?

Touching the past centuries

Donji Stajevac

SERBIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

We are taking a bus to a small village in the hills. Yes, people are still living there. Nature is pure and beautiful. The last stop, we are getting out of the bus, and continuing by foot. There is a small river to cross over, it is summer so we can cross over it on the stones, but people told us that in the autumn and spring it gets very big and dangerous. After a walk through the woods we arrived, and there it was a small house near the wood, no other houses nearby. It is like we entered the past centuries. The house is made out of straw and mud. There is no parquet or plates on the floor, just the hard stoned mud. There is no electricity cooker, just a wood stove. Our cousins are preparing a lunch for us; they are so come and peaceful. There is no TV or the radio, no PC, no self-phones, just the silence, and the sounds of nature. I wanted to help so I offered to bring the water. There is no water in the house, so I go out but there is no well, just source of water near the house by the little road. Hmm, I wasn`t sure where it was, and suddenly I sow a little pond which was bubbling, there it is. I took a water jug and put it in the water, it was so clear and cold, but also very tasty. Everything we need was in the nature. We had a lunch and go on a walk to the old grannies house. It is empty now, but the spirit of the grand grandmother is still in there. There is a bottle of the good „Rakia“ drink, and also a coffee in a box, if someone come to stay or rest for a while, he can feel just like she is there to pour a drink. Everything is like she is still there. In front of that room there was a hearth, which they use to heat and cook. Old dishes are still around it. It is almost you here it pounding. Ashes are still there, waiting for someone to make a bread and put it in special dish below it to bake it (like we use oven). Beside the house there is an old apple three, huge and full of apples which are small but very tasty, because there is no chemistry in them. You can just pick them from the tree and eat. What a joy, not to think about anything. We went back; our old cousins were climbing up the hill very fast. Wow I couldn’t go so fast, what destroy of an energy we have in our offices sitting in front of the PC all day at the work, I though. But here, with this beautiful air to breath, and clear water to drink, and pure nature to give you all its resources, you certainly must have your energy back.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ladytanana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Serbia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.