Existing Member?

Jam packed!

Marseille

FRANCE | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [115] | Scholarship Entry

You would think that my memories of Marseille would leave me with feelings of disappointment since the two days I spent there were rainy and incredibly windy. It was, however, those two days that showed me the most magical side of Marseille. It was on one of these hysterically rainy days that our school trip organised a boat ride. Not only that, but a boat ride on the same day as a local marathon. In the howling wind and the rain! The weather clouded most of the view of the coastline and it was virtually impossible to stand outside on the deck of the boat as the waves rocked the vessel from side to side, but I have never had such a laugh as I did that day!

Another excellent moment on this particular trip was the trip to the Notre Dame de la Garde, a beautiful church atop the hill. After a walk up the hill in the mist, I reached the doors of the church and stepped into the large and majestic wooden doors. I hope I can do justice to the beauty of this church. From floor to ceiling, the sacred place was covered in mosaic tiles, arranged in the most exquisite patterns that form religious scenes in bright colours and flecks of gold. With the fishing history of Marseille, the church has been a place of worship and support for years to the folk of the city.
Wooden fishing boats hung from the ceiling and there were countless photographs and pictures of fishermen and boat wrecks of the past and present.

Just as I left, the priest waited at the doors to greet each visitor and wish them well with their travels and daily troubles. Cobbled stairs led me back into the city, where I met up my school group and went for dinner at a little Moroccan restaurant where I warmed my nose on a chickpea soup and enjoyed further courses of couscous and lamb stew. My achy feet were hardly noticed after such exciting and interesting events that were squeezed into such a short period of time.

I still dream of that church and it's intricate scenes of a divine saviour depicted in gold and shattered tile, perched on a hill for all to see, while the Mother Mary gazed over the coast with protective eyes. These are memories etched in my mind and leave me with an ache for travel, for experiences and for wonder at the beauties of life. Despite the wet and the blustery wind, the magic of Maseille was far from hidden. If anything, the mystery of the place was heightened by the mist, the cloud and the large droplets that glittered and dripped from my eyelashes.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ladyonthemove


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.