Existing Member?

Living the Masala Adventure

Day 2: Exploring New Delhi

INDIA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [109]

The day was supposed to begin not long after light began streaming through the windows. I guess jet lag caught up with me or something because I fell back asleep until mom opened the door and asked "Do you still want Stefani to do you hair"? I shot straight up in bed because Stefani and mom were to come up before breakfast around 8:30 to do my hair and chat. I can't believe I went back to sleep for 2 whole hours!! My hair is long, blonde and poufs out in the morning terribly. Think Animal from the Muppets, and yeah you get the idea, that's my hair.

I quickly change and put on light make up. While Stefani begins straightening my hair, I take the shells off the boiled eggs. For breakfast in addition to boiled eggs Mummy-ji made fruit salad, toast, and sooji pancakes which are yummy savory pancakes. Unfortunately I have a sinus infection hurting which is hurting my face and making me not want to chew much. I still stole a few bites from Vinay's plate but my main breakfast was a papaya and banana smoothie. Afterall I do have to fit into this wedding lengha in a few days!

We finished breakfast by 9:50 and scurried around to get our bottles of water, cameras, etc to get down to the van that would take us all around Delhi sightseeing by 10am. As we pilled in to the van the streets were already alive and bustling with activity. Fruit and vegetable stalls were open with vendors weighing out quantities for customers lining the streets. Autorickshaws added to the hum of activity, motorcycles weaved between them while busses and cars added to the web of traffic.

I watched mean with a cart loaded down with bricks crossing the traffic, and at what could be considered a crosswalk two older menm threw corn to pigeons who swarmed and began eating. All the sights and sounds while different than anything I have experience before were still strangely familiar.

I was so engrossed with staring out the window that time passed very quickly and soon I realized the van was pulling up to the Lotus Temple. The Temple us shaped like a blooming Lotus flower. It was very tranquil and welcoming. while we walked down the smooth brick pathway I noticed many people staring and taking photos of the group of light skinned strangers who passed by. It's amusing in a way that here, my family from America is the "different ones" we are the minority.

Once we neared the temple it was then I noticed people removing their shoes into a bag and proceeding barefoot across the hot stone to a long mat made of coconut fibers. The mat was a small relief to the searing heat, and really made me appreciate the fact that I'm not forced to walk around barefoot in India for any long stretch of time.

All eight of us; Mom, Mummy-ji, Maggie, Stefani, Brian, Anna, Vinay and myself stopped for a few pictures before proceeding inside. We paused for a brief prayer and silence before continuing on outside to enjoy the reflecting pool then continue on our way.

Tags: lotus temple

About ladydi_01


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.