Existing Member?

Chronicle Of An Adventure Foretold

Bring me a burqa - I miss being covered!

FRANCE | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [348]

I know. I can scarcely believe it myself. Today was a landmark day. No, not because it was the first day of my new job but because it’s the first time in 12 months I have worn a skirt above the ankles, in fact, it’s the first time my legs have seen the light of day except for two afternoons in Dubai and I’m sorry, I know it’s a desperately sad and ridiculous thing to do but I had to take a photo to commemorate the occasion.

Unfortunately however, it was all too much. I sat at breakfast in my shoulder sleeved blouse and my skirt (knee length but with slit at the front) and felt conspicuous by my nakedness. By the time I got halfway through my breakfast baguette I was yearning for a good shawl to cover my arms and found myself wondering ‘’will they think I’m indecently dressed?’’ (in a Jermyn Street blouse and knee length skirt). I had not aimed for indecency but my suit is in storage and these are the only office clothes I have.

My panic was assuaged by the memories of my dear French friend with her vertiginous hemlines who assured me ‘’in Paris people dress like this’’.   Still, I dashed back upstairs for a good cardigan (despite the warm temperatures) and kept it on all day (probably all the other women in vest tops and tank tops think I am adjusting from African to European temperatures – no, that’s not the issue).

I walked past a shop window and caught sight of myself in a reflection I thought ‘Oh MY GOD you can see the shape of my ass in this skirt!’’ You know those dreams where you imagine you're walking down the road naked? That's how I felt today. 

I just can't do headscarf cold turkey like this. It’s going to take me a while to readjust…

Long sleeves tomorrow...and perhaps a full length skirt 

Tags: naked!

About ladyc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.