Existing Member?

Chronicle Of An Adventure Foretold

Somaliland, 2011 Leaving Somaliland - where have all the good women gone?

DJIBOUTI | Sunday, 10 April 2011 | Views [731]

I am leaving Somaliland in one week with very mixed feelings. On the face of it, I should be chained to the airport departure gate foaming at the mouth to leave. For your average Westerner, it is not an ideal habitat; there is no gym, no cinema, no bookshop, no park to walk in or track to run on. (If you tried to go for a run you’d probably end up with kids throwing stones at you). There is nowhere that you can wander to be alone with your thoughts; there is nowhere to be alone – except at home; where solitude is mandatory and enforced by patrolling men with AK’s. My lot is better than some; a friend had a guest removed at gunpoint from her home by her guard. Her staff tell her the guard is mentally unstable, one gave her a padlock for her gate ’just in case’ and yet despite repeated complaints, the security services refuse to remove or fire him.

Guards are mandatory for expatriates; and it is mandatory for NGOs to accept the government approved guards. The guards are rehabilitated militia, and so these former fighters with guns, patrol private residences with god-like authority, exercised through random and irrational decision making. Her guard removed the offending guest and then told the town that the white woman was having sex with him. She didn’t but she’s a white woman and in the eyes of some locals, that’s what we are: whores, infidels.

I am comparatively lucky; I came here for work that I find extremely rewarding. My first four years involvement with this country were spent working with pioneering institutions led by visionary, extraordinary individuals committed to rebuilding their country. If this country was recognised as the nation state it once was, perhaps their stories would be internationally recognised too, instead of shuffled away under the carpet of international political embarrassment. Those individuals are still here, still extraordinary and still some of the most awe inspiring human beings I have met anywhere in the world. Any nation would be lucky to have them. The passion and commitment that inspires people to greatness during moments of nation building is rare and beautiful. There are so many devoted, dedicated, humble and good hearted men and women who have inspired a generation of young people to follow their example; if only they could get the chance, seeing as how so many job openings are stuffed full by clan favours and familial interest.

The beauty is that good always outweighs the bad; one inspiring person balances the negativity of literally hundreds of small minded people.  Referring to one of the country’s extraordinary women, a government official said ‘we need twelve of her’; our driver spoke of another female powerhouse and said ‘we need ten of her’. Ten, that’s even less. In a country of 3.5 million people, we only need ten or twelve inspiring human beings. Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't as easy as picking potatoes: the women referred to are extraordinary,  unparalleled in their kindness, service, tirelessness and commitment. These aren’t just ‘good’ people, these are the kind of people that legends are made of.

Still. Twelve, ten, That’s not so hard, surely?

The problem is, I can’t see where are these twelve going to come from. What are we doing to nurture the next group of male or female leaders? Where is the education that inspires young women to be confident in their own dignity and capacity to make a difference? I’m told that girls are treated abysmally in school, humiliated and scorned in front of their classmates not just by boys and teachers but again, also by NGO guards. Some weeks ago a friend told me his sister was punched by a boy of 14 years old; the boy’s father instead of being outraged was blithely unconcerned. Worse still, rape is on the increase and yet it is not unheard of for the girl to be asked to marry the offender ‘so as not to bring shame on the family’. These girls are not going to be one of the twelve. Their future has already been taken away from them because they have learned at a young age that a man can treat them however he wants and get away with it.

The justifications for 'getting away with it are groundless and distortive. In an egregious distortion of a religious passage designed to ensure appropriate distribution of property to protect and provide for familial needs, men have proclaimed to me ‘a woman is 50% of a man! It’s in the Qur’an’.  It’s not, not like that, no more than it is in there for men to marry more than one wife ‘’so the women don’t become sexually frustrated’’ (I do not know which particular version of the book that man was reading). Small wonder that no-one, despite repeated times of asking, would ever give me a translated copy (God forbid anyone should actually find out how the Qur’an really provides for men, women, children and the weak, the strong messages about compassion, protection of the vulnerable, or the stipulations about equality of human beings irrespective of tribe and so on). Some women don’t even get 50%; a few years ago I read in a newsletter published by students of one of the medical schools a about a woman who died because the men in her family refused her treatment; the young doctors stood around the bed helpless and watched the woman bleed to death.  Yet it is written that it is the job of men to protect women.

Women are admired, but insufficiently celebrated, there are so many hero stories of men who have built the nation – but what about the women? They fought, they contributed, why don’t we celebrate them more and why on earth are we not growing more women like them? I’m told that even the greatest women will always be ‘the little daughter’. ‘A woman in Somaliland exists only in so far as a man allows her to’ I’m told. Hm, I only half agree with that.  The women I’ve seen do pretty well no matter what the limitations, advantages or structural parameters put on them by men. People tell me ‘’ah! she can only achieve that because the men in her clan allow her to’’ ... maybe but the fact remains that she does it; she is the one who gets up in the morning, works late at night, puts in the hours tirelessly and often with harassment rather than thanks – she does it. No doubt the khat chewing relatives under the tree have a say, but don’t tell me this woman hasn’t bust her ass and achieved something.  Of course you can’t take an individual out of a community, but you can have outstanding individual contribution within a community and there could be more of it, if we weren’t so busy killing off future potential by eroding present day self esteem.

I wonder if Somaliland in ten or twenty years will be the inspirational place it was when I first encountered it. I hope so..

 

Tags: somaliland

About ladyc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Djibouti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.