Existing Member?

Finding Paradise

Finding Paradise

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [94] | Scholarship Entry

I first saw Kalalau Beach from a catamaran bouncing frantically on the ocean. Crammed amongst a sea of people on a cookie cutter boat tour. Cute skippers, fine dining and all you could drink Mai Tais. Relaxing, but not my first choice for an adventure. Then I spotted it. A stretch of perfect white sand perched below dazzling spires of the Na Pali Coast.

The captain made a passing comment about the crazy people who hike there. He would never dare; just too dangerous. He emphasized his distaste with comments that only intrigued me more. A bunch of hippies, spending their days frolicking naked on the beach and nights beside a campfire. It took everything I had in me not to jump off that catamaran right then and there. I would have swam through those violent waves right toward that beach and made friends. But I sipped another Mai Tai and held it together.

I dreamt about that beach for years. I had to go back. I did my research and planned my return. Skimming articles with uncomfortable headlines about the danger and risk. I quickly blocked them all from my head and convinced a team to join me. Tactfully leaving out any mention of danger and focused on the selling point, pure paradise.

The trail was littered with warning signs. No swimming. Dangerous current. A wooden sign etched with a knife, markings of people who died in the surf. I counted 83. We made our way deeper on the trail. Ascend, descend, repeat. Into lush valleys and out again to steep cliffs.

One slip was certain plunge to death. We continued on. Hugging the side of cliffs, clutching our grip on sharp rocks for stability. Every step guided by extreme caution. Hoping my friends wouldn’t be upset that I’d pitched paradise and delivered a life or death situation. I prayed the beach would be as great as thought it was those many years ago.

In the distance, we saw it. A huge stretch of white sand beach, waves crashing onto the shore. We dropped our bags and gazed in utter disbelief. We made it.

We spent the afternoon jumping in the surf, exploring caves, showering in waterfalls, and yes, frolicking naked on the beach. Dancing around a land we thought only existed in the imagination of Hollywood directors and special effects wizards. Nothing felt real.

We quickly forgot about the hike that led us there. The day turned to night and we sat around the campfire watching the stars. But just forget everything I said. Don’t go, it’s just not worth the risk.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lachute


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.