Existing Member?

Intercultural Communication In Ecuador

Ecuadorian Health Care: A combination of Holistic and Biomedical Techniques

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 7 January 2014 | Views [328] | Comments [1]

Labor and delivery room at Centro de Salud No. 4

Labor and delivery room at Centro de Salud No. 4

                Our focus today was Ecuadorian medicine and health care. We discussed medicine in such a way that cultural patterns have an impact on health care. There are three belief systems surrounding medicine. The first view is the Magico Religious viewpoint that believes external supernatural forces impact health that cannot be prevented or controlled. The Holistic/Natural viewpoint looks at one's relationship with nature and focuses on the mind, body, and spirit when healing. Finally, there is the viewpoint that I, along with most other Americans, are most familiar with which is the Western or Biomedical viewpoint. This is the idea of controlling health through biomedical forces like chemicals and medicines. While it is impossible to say which view is better than another, there are advantages to disadvantages with every viewpoint. For instance, the Magico Religious view promotes positive thoughts and the idea of "mind over matter" when it comes to health. However, not all diseases are self limiting and have the potential for harmful complications if not treated. The holistic and natural viewpoint has the benefits of not introducing chemicals into the body, but rather using more natural substances. However, these treatments may not be as effective as those used in western medicine. Finally, the biomedical viewpoint has strong advantages due to the scientific research showing its effectiveness. Although, with an increased use of chemicals for treatment of sickness comes negative of people self medicating as well as self diagnosing illnesses. An increased prevalence of  prescription drug addiction is also being seen in the United States.

                The holistic view of medicine is catching on in the United States which I think people could greatly benefit from. I believe that often times prescription drugs are abused and prescribed far too often when they really don't need to. For instance, when someone goes to the doctor with a really bad cold, it is not uncommon for someone to be prescribed an antibiotic. Unless there is another problem like infection going on, colds are caused by viruses and an antibiotic will not help treat the illness any faster. I believe we as a society have become obsessed with the idea that when we're sick we go to the doctor and expect to be prescribed something when really sometimes it is best to let the body run its course and take of it. That being said, there are of course situations in which medical intervention is needed. I believe so far I have kept an open mind about all of Ecuador's belief systems and values, but when it comes to health care I struggle. Coming from such a western society that values biomedical remedies for almost all ailments along with a scientific cause of disease, I struggle with the idea that people believe illness can be caused by evil spirits or spirits of inanimate objects as described by the belief of Animism. Although I was glad to hear that often times in hospitals in this area offer a great respect for people's traditions by offering a combination of holistic and western medicine working in conjunction together. I believe this is a happy medium between offering natural remedies but still having access to biomedical techniques when absolutely necessary.

                This idea of the combination of traditional and western medicine was something that came up during  our tour of Centro de Salud No. 4. There are four levels of hospitals in Ecuador and this is the lowest level of treatment. This means that mostly consultations are done at this hospital along with pediatric and family health are done at the hospital. No major surgeries are performed however small surgeries like those to treat hernias are performed. Many births also happen at this hospital although they do not have the ability to perform cesarean sections. The director of  hospital gave us our tour and told us how doctors practicing traditional healing methods as well as more western doctors work at the hospital. The hospital has a pharmacy with biomedical remedies however the traditional doctors offer natural remedies as well. The idea of the combination of medical viewpoints was very prevalent when we visited the labor and delivery room. Many of the patients at this hospital are from more rural areas and prefer home deliveries, so the hospital designed rooms where patients can deliver their baby however they want and with whoever they want with them. They are always watched over by medical personnel to ensure their safety as well as that of their baby. This allows for their comfort as well as their health and safety. This idea of natural childbirth is catching on in the United States as well. Many women are opting to have as natural of a birth as possible often times with midwives and without the use of medications.

                While at the hospital I also learned that Centro de Salud No. 4 is a governmentally funded hospital so all health services and medications are provided free of charge to patients. I thought this was so great because it allows many more people access to health care when they might otherwise not be able to due to a high cost. This is a problem we face in the United States, due to the high cost of health care and insurance many Americans are not receiving the health care they need. According to NBC news, between January and July in 2013 45.2 million people lacked health insurance. This continues to be a problem in Ecuador as well. While both of our countries have a long way to go in providing coverage to everyone, we are both headed in the right direction.

Comments

1

Struggling with the different beliefs systems is not a bad thing as it demonstrates your attempt to understand the differences while keeping an open mind, even if you don't agree completely.

  Marianne Jan 9, 2014 6:08 AM

About lachowiezm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.