Existing Member?

Witchy ways

Good things come to those...

CZECH REPUBLIC | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [267] | Scholarship Entry

“Three nights in a European town of your choice - we’re having an adventure!” That was my Christmas gift to my best friend two years ago. For more than fifteen years we had been making plans, and there had always been something missing - usually time or money. Suddenly we were nearing thirty and had never ever travelled together even once. Eight months later we boarded a train that would take us to Prague for a long weekend.
Two female, heavily burdened tourists without travelling experience in a foreign country - what could possibly go wrong?
Two minutes after leaving Prague Central Station, a weird guy started talking to us. He offered to help us change money if we followed him into a shady alley.
Right. So not happening.
We told him to get lost. He followed us for a few minutes, so we passed the street where our hostel was supposed to be and kept walking until he finally lost interest. Good thing we didn’t have that much luggage.
Our hostel was a relief. Not only was it clean and with friendly staff, there was a concierge at the front door. After that first scare we were very fond of him!
Prague, if you haven’t been there, is a blast. It has everything, from good (and cheap!) beer to famous sausages, great clubs and bars, shopping and amazing sightseeing. All in all we walked maybe 25 kilometers on the first day, in reasonable heat, admiring the astronomical clock, a castle ruin, a palace and an old monastery where scenes from “The league of extraordinary gentlemen” had been shot. We also found a tiny place selling the best coffee I have ever had.
The next day we made a detour in pouring rain just to taste some more of that divine black nectar. Then we visited the Jewish quarters. I got my boyfriend a tiny clay golem for his desk to help with important projects, and then we spent the rest of the day revisiting the castle on the hill, sitting in the sun to enjoy the local beer.
One of our highlights was the “ghost tour” offered by a local agency. At night, in pouring rain, we were dragged over slippery cobblestone and through dark alleys. Let me tell you, Prague has its share of blood and gore if you are that kind of girl!
Our last day was slightly lazier, with visits to the chocolate museum (with tasting, yeah!) and more sitting in the sun.
This was, hands down, one of the best trips I have ever had. This year we are planning to go and explore Dublin. My friend is afraid of flying. What could go possibly wrong?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lacaffeinata


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.