Existing Member?

The first time I saw San Francisco

Falling for San Francisco

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [93] | Scholarship Entry

The one and only time I have ever travelled to the united states will always be an experience I will never forget. There is one day in this trip thats stands out most of all in my mind; the first day I stepped foot in the city of San Francisco.

It was my second day of my two week trip in California and I was still feeling exhausted from my flight the day before. The ever present californian sunlight seemed more eager for the day ahead than I was as it decided to rouse me from sleep a lot earlier than I would have liked.

We set off towards the city pretty early, a clear blue sky stretched over us and gifted us with a view of San Francisco in the distance. The fog that invades the city on clear mornings thankfully decided to take the day off as if the city were calling out to new explorers 'Come to me, I am here and I am ready'.

As soon as I entered the city I feel in love with it. Theres nothing as awe-inspiring as entering a new city for the first time. Every city is unique and contains it own culture and feel that permeates everything. I can honestly say that San Francisco is one of my favourite places in the world. The first thing that struck me about the city was how free it was socially. It was the first place I had ever seen where gay couples openly walked down the street together. Where i'm from that doesn't happen, that sight in itself was amazing enough to cement the city in my heart.

We found a man in fisherman's wharf who was hiding behind a plant and jumping out at the passers by. He gained quite an audience that stopped on the other side of the road in order to witness the spectacle in front of them. San Francisco is a city alive, this was not the only impromptu performance that I saw that day, the city's soul spills out onto the streets rather being contained within theatres like so many other places. Here performance is a public show that you are invited to join in with and create yourself.

Driving up and down its hills feels like a battle. The streets are so steep it feels like your going to slide down them. They are mountains that throw off any that try to scale their heights. Its as if they are giant walls that protect the heart of the city, the sole defence against the forces that would corrupt its culture. The climb is infinitely worth it though as there is so much up there not to mention that the view from up there as you look down through the street at the sea is simply amazing.

I love San Francisco.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kyleknappett


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.