Existing Member?

On The Road With The British And Irish Lions

On The Road With The British And Irish Lions

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 November 2012 | Views [261]

A fixture in the hearts of the British and Irish, rugby has a long history in the British Isles. Overcoming national boundaries, rugby union's Lions are held up as one of the world's leading teams and participate in a number of top international tours.

A Cultural Pastime
Few sports are as definitive of British and Irish culture as rugby. Every weekend throughout the nations, thousands make their way to matches taking place, decked out in their team's colours and filled with passion for the game.

Rugby can be found on a national level, with dozens of local teams competing against each other, but also on a larger scale, with the internationally renowned Rugby Lions grabbing the hearts of thousands across the British Isles.

Rugby Union
There are a number of variations on the game of rugby. Of these, rugby union, often known simply as rugby, is one of the most popular. Beginning life in the early 19th century, it soon developed into its own distinct branch of play and in 1995, after years of being an amateurs-only sport, it was recognised by the International Rugby Board as a professional game.

Although similar to rugby league, rugby union differs in the number of players on a side (15 as opposed to 13) and also in its unlimited use of tackles and continued use of scrums. Points awarded for scoring also varies between the two games.

British And Irish Lions
Today a number of countries around the world have taken up rugby, even going so far as to adopt it as their national sport. Nations in which the game is popular include Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and South Africa. However, the Home Nations from which it originated (Great Britain and Ireland) remain one of the leaders in the rugby world.

The British and Irish Lions, formerly the British Isles and British Lions, are the combined force of British and Irish rugby talent. First playing in 1949, they represent the geographical, rather than national, region of the British Isles, although their symbol, the four quartered badge, pays homage to their four distinct identities.

On Tour With The Team
Rugby Union has a number of tournaments that take place, from annual competitions to the Rugby World Cup that is held every four years. This sees fans from across the globe travel to back their chosen teams.

The British and Irish Lions also participate in a number of tours, which currently involves the three nations of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. As with the World Cup, tours take place every four years in one particular nation. Fast approaching is the 2013 Australia tour, which kicks off in Hong Kong in early June before moving onwards to Australia for a month of games and superb sporting entertainment.

The British and Irish Lions are one of the world's leading rugby union teams. Their games are always exciting and this is only amplified by being on tour and watching them perform on the international stage.

AUTHOR BIO:
Jane Waterstone is a regular contributor to sports blogs and websites. An avid Rugby Lions fan, she spends several months of the year travelling the world on the trail of all their tournaments.

Tags: london travel, rugby lion

About kylasmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.