Existing Member?

Isla Formosa Where?

Isla Formosa

TAIWAN | Tuesday, 6 July 2010 | Views [236]

“Isla Formosa” is what the Spaniards called this little bit of paradise off the east coast of China, when they first arrived all those years ago and it is still those very two words “beautiful Island”.

Many western people when they hear the name Taiwan respond with ‘Where?’ or ‘Why?’ the latter being they have no idea and presume it’s somewhere in SEA (South East Asia) that making it a “poor” country according to their vast knowledge, and therefore not worth travelling to such a place. But actually it’s quite the opposite, yes there are those areas where some are less fortunate than others, but we do see this problem all around the globe.

Apart from that Taiwan has done rather well for herself in the last 50 or so years even with all the dramas going on around and inside her borders. The greatest being she is still an independent country despite her big bully of a Sister China moving in to claim what will inevitably become hers.

I would have preferred to write in a special diary or even a notebook but having a mind that easily gets distracted doesn’t help! Any who I could give you a brief or detailed history of this lovely little country, the likes of which so many other travellers would do, but I would prefer to tell you my time spent in her warm grace not to mention the inhabitants that I have come to respect and admire and who ultimately accepted me into Taiwan society..

And so my finger touches the ‘T’ Key

Touchdown! my eyes have to adjust to my surroundings after spending over 10 hours in the dark interior of my plane, Oh and looking at a 10 inch TV screen for the most part of the flight(note to self long haul journeys= lots of movies which haven’t even hit the big screen yet, Brilliant!) Already I can feel the sticky hands of Humidity touching my exposed skin, even though the air conditioning is cranked up to its limit. The first few minutes in the country and I already have a hurdle (Immigration) the first local I meet and I am already thinking ‘is this what I’m in for?’ Staring down his nose from his desk the officer asks me (probably the hundredth foreigner today) where I’m staying and the address please?  Oh... I’ve been planning this for six months and a simple question blows it out the window! Alas lady luck hasn’t given up on me this early in my adventure and I manage to uncover a little piece of paper with address and contact numbers thanks to my dear friend Ed (Chen yu Chou). Staring at me for a bit longer with that stern look, the officer finally stamps some red Pinyin characters into my passport and casually slides it across the desk. I’m free and on the other side! (I wonder how many faces that officer has turned back and wonder further does he enjoy it?)

Minutes pass and I hoist my backpack off the conveyer belt and onto my back which is already starting to gather some beads of sweat, making my way in the line of jetlagged travellers we stumble into the arrivals lounge. I'm welcomed by my oriental friend’s ear to ear smile, my energy quickly returning I grab him in a big bear hug. Putting him down I notice he has brought his older sister Sylvia along (or should I say the opposite since it’s her car they’re picking me up in) I'm on such a high I give her the same dose I gave her brother knowing that she is my new sister.

The car park or should I say Scooter Park! Is my first minor culture shock. Sylvia’s wagon is surrounded by the two wheeled machines, at that moment I realise I will eventually be on the back off one of them or even driving it! First photo taken was driving down the freeway and shooting at rows of blurry buildings back-dropped by a hazy sky (I’m pretty sure its smog) as we drive down the crowded streets, I'm so excited that my hand is moving on its own accord waving at passing pedestrians and motorists alike and to my surprise it’s thrown back at me! I’m definitely not in the western world.

45 minutes later we arrived at the Chou’s household/shop (In many oriental cities where the people far outnumber living space, many prefer to live above their work making it a lot more practical and simple) As soon as I walk through the double glass doors my senses are assaulted, my ears by the sound of a hanging bell and dogs barking? But it’s the nostrils which get the brunt of it, hundreds of different smells they have never smelt before and I love it all! Edwards’s father is a medicine man and I will get to learn more about his work down the track.                                                                                                             Set out on the table at the rear of the shop is a feast for a king! (Do they expect me to eat all that?) I sit down which is quite hard as I am still very excited making me seem as if I have a nervous twitch to the smiling faces around me, I admire the dishes laid out before me, it looks just like the meals they eat in the kungfu movies. “Dig in bro!” says Ed.

My temporary family are so lovely and hospitable (as I shall learn about all my new friends!) and made me feel welcome as soon as the door closed behind me, Ed’s mother is just like my own, having all those motherly qualities we all love (every time I would head out to explore she made sure I either wore sunscreen or take a umbrella when the clouds coloured grey) His Father same qualities as my old man,  doesn’t have to say anything but you know he worries as much mum! Leaving the most memorable character of the family till last who I could write a whole paragraph on, dear NaiNai (grandma) I always seem to have a deeper connection with the older generation. If only I learnt fluent Mandarin we could of furthered our friendship (that language barrier is a pesky thing!) I still remember when she brought out all her photo albums of her young days in Japan-occupied Taiwan, it was all very interesting but it was a pretty big pile of albums! So after an hour of charades with one another it was time for my hands and face to take a break.  Oh! I nearly forgot Padsai and Baby the furry friends of the family! I love how they don’t understand my alien language (English) but Chinese just fine!

 

The mile long list of Events, Adventures and fond memories of my time spent here cannot all be weaved into this journal as my story telling powers are still new to me, so I shall write down the ones that are vivid in my mind, that entertain and hopefully inspire you to travel to this lovely bit of paradise. Let’s start with my first weekend....

About kurt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.