Existing Member?

Wanderer's diary

Shannon's Pot

IRELAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [284] | Scholarship Entry

I made a wrong turn. For a mile, there were no signs of the river, and then I saw a small stream, gleaming among the bushes. It was not the beginning of the greatest Ireland's River - Shannon. Disappointed, I turned back. On the right side of the road, an old house caught my attention. It was low and covered with moss. No windows, just the lop-sided doors. Obviously, it's owners had abandoned it a long time ago.
The whole plan for that journey was to see the place where the legendary Goddess Shannon was drowned in a Well by the Salmon of Knowledge. I imagined this trip as a quest: to help the goddess get out of the Well. So with no hesitations I sneaked into the house, to see what it should bring to me.
Low ceilings, stained-glass windows, spiders' webs all over the house - it was beautiful and empty, nothing was left behind. But in a coal shed just in front of the house I found a knife. Extremely sharp and ungodly rusty. I took it because in every quest I used to play on a computer there was a rule of taking every item that came in handy.
On my way back, when I found a few flocks of sheep wool, the puzzle in my head was solved: I should give to Shannon everything she would need to escape. So I brought her:
- a knife to fight the guards;
- the flocks of wool to make a warm dress;
- some cheese and wine to eat and keep her spirit high;
- a few coins, that could magically become a fortune in the Well, so she could be okay here and there.
The weather, especially for Ireland, was perfect. Warm, but not too hot. Sky was patched with the white clouds, they were nicely corresponding with the white sheep standing sporadically all over the fields. Soft sunbeams rested on the green bushes, which surrounded the sacred well named by the peasants Shannon's Pot. No people was around at the moment I came. Though this place is often visited by tourists.
The small, almost black pot looked like a serene and eternal eye. The small waves on it's surface moved back and forth as someone was breathing underneath. I knew she was in there. Can Shannon be finally rescued?
I gave to the pot all the sacrifices I've got. And a few blueberries for dessert.
Every item sank in the water.
And then one blueberry emerged and was washed ashore to me. I ate it, it was sweet, I felt that Shannon was thanking me for the gifts.
A fish splashed by the far shore. The Salmon of Knowledge, was it you?
Don't know. But I love to feel the places through legends. Who knows, maybe they are true.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kseniase


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.