Existing Member?

Now-Or-Never Land

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [345] | Scholarship Entry

First thing I did after I turned 18 is I took a long-distance hitchhiking trip to a neighbor country, Ukraine. I was an ordinary girl from a poor family, and I had no chance to travel because I didn't have enough money even for studies. So my only chance to survive was to become a brilliant student to have a chance to study for free. Also, I could travel only by hitchhiking and cheap trains. Only now I understand how dangerous were all my trips, especially when I traveled alone. I knew one thing: my only chance to move in this Universe is to throw my fears away and just smile, be positive and nice to people - every human being deserves it! And... this simple philosophy worked great for me!

I met wonderful people who could take me and my friends through the whole country, feed us, give us water and laugh with us like crazy, and we never met them again. Some of them even gave us money "for coffee" ("I used to travel like you when I was a student! I know you have zero in your pocket!") and it was so touching, moving me to tears! And in some situations we shared our bread and water with drivers, we helped them not to sleep during long dark nights when they were supposed to arrive to a final destination by sunrise... One time we saved a car: it was hot-hot day in Crimea and a car broke down on the mountain, we shared all water we had with this "metal horse" and we were so happy to do it :)

Giving back is an important step in self-development and a step in a direction of improving a small world around you. And giving back on the road is the most beautiful act of solidarity I have ever lived through in my life. It is always just when it’s needed, it always shows you the real worth of the person next to you, and what your private Universe is in reality. I am always saying: "If you want to test a person and to see her true colors, take her on the road to hitchhike together". Road can do wonders with people, I know it for sure ;)

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kryscina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.