Existing Member?

metropolis

Take the Subway to the Ancient History!

TURKEY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [78] | Scholarship Entry

Living in Istanbul, a crowded city combining historical buildings and skyscrapers, you really need to take subway to reach your destination fast and easily so that you can spend the rest of this time to yourself for self discoveries after a tiring day. In my everyday life, I am one of the people who use subway frequently to reach somewhere like everybody else, and commuting always put me in a state of rush.

One day, when I had nothing to do and didn't have to be anywhere on time, I got off the train and interchanged stations. When I looked around as I was walking slowly on the contrary to other people; I discovered about the ancient treasures that were on display in Marmaray Yenikapi metro station, cups and some everyday items from Greek times. And above those, it was written how these were unearthed. I read about the discovery of the Theodosian Harbour and shipwrecks belonging to Byzantines, while the government were simply trying to connect two sides of Istanbul for an easier transportation. Unintentionally, modern world was once again linked to the old times. Knowing about this synthesis of old and new left a very sweet thought in my mind. I got really excited: subway became an open museum where modern working people in a rush met with calm and tired shipwrecks every day. I got home and did research on the internet, and found out that these findings caused a delay in the opening of metro station at least 4 years, and shipwrecks were examined to estimate the trade relations of Byzantine, which is why I feel Marmaray from the first day that they laid its base to its active usage here and now has helped enlightening the history and enables the history to pull us towards itself.

...A few days passed, and this special discovery made me wonder about how other subway stations were built and what was on display on their walls and halls, thus I immediately wanted to feed my urge. Instead of visiting official museums in Istanbul like I try to do at my free weekends, I took my 'akbil'(i.e. smart ticket used in transportation), started to take the subway and get off at a random station, and let my journey begin. I had no idea about what I could come across as there was a little available information on the internet, it only said there were encaustic tiles whose themes were related to the station they were in. The result: stories on the wall. Amazing, and what made them more special was the spontaneity.

Not all who wanders are lost, and I will keep wandering.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About krutzog


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.