Existing Member?

Intercultural Communications

Guayaquil

ECUADOR | Thursday, 16 January 2014 | Views [240]

                On Monday, we said goodbye to our host families. My host mom drove us to school and hugged us goodbye. I already miss her and my host siblings so much. We went out to eat as a class at this family-run restaurant in Cuenca, and it was by far the best meal of the trip. We had so much traditional food, and the best chicken, steak and pork. It was phenomenal. After lunch, we embarked on a 4 hour, winding bus ride through the Andes to Guayaquil for our last 3 days before flying back to the US.

                On Tuesday, we spent our morning at an orphanage. It was a beautiful foundation, and the people working there really cared about these kids. The orphanage has a school right there, and they had a great outdoor area for the kids to play. The orphanage has kids from really a young age to 17 and 18 year olds.  One 8 year old girl named Estrellita (translates to star, and in this case, since she is young, little star) wouldn’t leave my side. She was the sweetest, happiest girl I have ever met. All of the kids there were so happy. I even got interviewed on camera, in Spanish, about my experience there as well as in Ecuador. It was a great experience.

                Today, we visited a Special Education school, and it was great. It is a very well-run facility, and it seems like they have a great program from preschool to 8th grade, to facilitation into real jobs. We also visited a facility for the poorest/most at-risk people in Guayaquil, and it helps them get their lives back together. It also works a lot with domestic violence cases. In the afternoon, we toured Universidad Casa Grande. It was a beautiful, small school that focuses on communication. Tonight, I’m going out to a restaurant with my professor and a few other girls. I am really excited for the chill night, as the huge amount of activities we have been doing the last two weeks as well as the crazy humidity and heat in Guayaquil is wearing me out. I do miss Cuenca a lot. Tomorrow we have 2 city tours, and a farewell dinner with the class. We have a very early morning on Friday, as we are leaving for the airport at 4:45 am. I am excited to go home, but I also don’t want to leave. I have made some amazing friends on this trip, and have had so many experiences of a lifetime. I will have to write a reflection blog once I get home (and sleep for 3 days straight.) As for now, I’m going to enjoy a nice nap before dinner. Adios!

About krthomas12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.