Existing Member?

Intercultural Communications

Day 14/15- Saraguro

ECUADOR | Monday, 13 January 2014 | Views [221]

                The class departed early Saturday morning for a small indigenous town about 3 hours away from Cuenca. The Saraguros are the 4th and final indigenous Andean group that we had an opportunity to spend time with. When we arrived on Saturday, we got in these small trucks that had boards in the back for seats and no doors or windows. We rode in these for almost an hour when we finally ate lunch sitting on a cliff with a view of a river and mountains. It was very hot out, and most of us got sunburnt. After lunch, we began a fairly difficult hike on Incan trail up a mountain. There were times when the trail was no more than 12 inches wide, with a vertical rock wall to one side and a steep cliff to our other side. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. When we got to the top, we had the most beautiful view. The area we hiked to was a very sacred place for the Incans and is still sacred for the Indigenous people. Our guide, who was an indigenous woman, led us in a few exercises to release all of our bad energy. It was amazing. After visiting a textile workshop, we had dinner in a small house. After we ate, we got to listen to traditional Andean music performed live and participate in circle dancing.

                On Sunday, we visited a small community where we got to participate in a traditional ritual. We entered a hut type construction, and it we decorated beautifully with flowers, corn, and ribbons. The indigenous people led us in this ritual of giving thanks and receiving positive energies. Afterwards, we participated in more circle dancing. We spent a few hours in the markets, and then headed to another house where we got to try the traditional Ecuadorian meal- Cuy. Cuy is guinea pig. And it tasted a bit like chicken. This is when my day gets interesting. I started to not feel very well, so I got up to walk to the bathroom. On my way there, I fainted. After throwing up everything I had eaten today, an indigenous man have me some herbal infused oil to breath in the aroma, as it is supposed to help with dizziness. It worked tremendously. After I was able to stand up, I was given Horchata tea, which is supposed to help with upset stomachs. Again, this natural remedy worked wonderfully. It was definitely one of the coolest days of my life, especially since I have never puked with such a beautiful view to look at. Tonight is my last night with my host family, as we head to Guayaquil tomorrow. 

About krthomas12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.