Existing Member?

Intercultural Communications

Day 3- Salasaca

ECUADOR | Thursday, 2 January 2014 | Views [218]

                We left Quito and made our first stop at an old mansion that has since been turned into a hotel. We explored the beautiful grounds and building, and then were served hot chocolate, coffee, and tea. A musical group that played traditional Ecuadorian instruments, (which we had learned about yesterday) played a short concert for us.

                After another 2 hours on the bus, we visited another indigenous group in Salasaca. We were able to observe a man using a large loom to weave a beautiful rug. The dyes that gave the rug its vibrant colors were produced from the blood of a bug. They use these natural colors instead of chemicals to preserve Mother Earth, and therefore the products are more expensive. The rug we saw being made typically takes about 3 months to complete.  We ate a delicious lunch of various vegetables and potatoes, and then went outside to learn a traditional dance.

                Our night was spent in Riobamba, where we had our first group discussion. We talked about culture, and some of the things we had seen in Ecuador so far. We ended the night with a delicious meal of Locro de Queso (a potato, cheese, and avocado soup,) chicken, rice, and an apple soda. 

About krthomas12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.