Existing Member?

Intercultural Communications

Day 1- Otavalo

ECUADOR | Sunday, 29 December 2013 | Views [298] | Comments [1]

                Today we woke up bright and early and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs with ham, rolls, papaya and tree tomato juice, and coffee and tea. We had a few hours of free time where we explored the markets in Otavalo. The indigenous people are significantly shorter than the average person, and they are extremely friendly and polite. We bartered the prices, even though they are already fairly cheap compared to what we are used to in the United States. The markets continued street after street, and the center was a large plaza that seemed like a maze of tents and vendors. Everything from scarfs and blankets made from alpaca wool to entire pigs, fruits, and vegetables were being sold.

                We ate lunch in a small restaurant where we all had sandwiched and pop, and we grabbed a pastry at a pastelería. The prices of everything, from bottled water and food to clothes and shoes are extremely cheap. After lunch, we headed to Cuicochi, which is a lagoon with a large island in the middle of the lake. We hiked up to the top of a peak, and everyone was a bit shocked by the immediate effects of the high altitude. The peak was at 10,353 feet above sea level. The view was gorgeous, and well worth the hike.

                We continued to a small textile workshop where we learned more about the indigenous cultures in the Andes. We saw different outfits of some of the cultures, and we learned how sheep wool is spun and woven. We walked up the street a ways to another workshop, but this one was for traditional musical instruments. We watched a women make a flute-like instrument, and then enjoyed a performance by some of her family members.

                Dinner was in a traditional Ecuadorian restaurant, and I had pollo al ajillo and a mojito cubano. Both were very delicious. The walk back from the restaurant to Hotel Otavalo was a beautiful one, as the streets that were earlier in the day filled with tents and vendors now were lit up by lights hanging from the buildings. Some of the larger buildings had colorful lights on the outside, and there was a festive feel to everything. 

                Tomorrow we are going to Quito to explore the city. It should be a great day!

 

Comments

1

You make some great observations, Kelsey; however, when making generalized statements make sure to provide a point of comparison. For example, what constitutes as 'average person' as related to height? Is cheap vs. expensive a relative term?

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 4:52 AM

About krthomas12


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.