Existing Member?

Service Trip to Cambodia This Journal keeps track of my experiences as an Epic Volunteer for Vail Resorts while in Siem Reap and the surrounding villages during a Chiropractic Service Trip staying at Hariharalaya Retreat Center.

It's all in the wrists

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 2 January 2018 | Views [414]

On our final night at the retreat center, the Cambodian staff and their families came to the property to play music for us and show us dances performed at a traditional wedding ceremony.  A ceremony which lasts all day and by all day, I mean it.  The week prior there was a local wedding and it went from 3am to 3am and one thing that Cambodians love are speakers, lots of speakers and a whole lot of karaoke.  Think tons of color and a party where all are invited. 

Jasmine, Joel’s daughter was in attendance in order to show us some traditional dances while the locals played some music on instruments I have never seen before – roneat, a bamboo flute, a bowed which looks like a single string violin, a whistle and lots of drums. 

 Instruments

Most of the dances we did were either walking in a circle or going from the outside of the circle into the middle and “it’s all in the wrist”.  Their wrists are always moving no matter what else is happening and in consistent and beautiful patterns.

Wrists

The wedding dances were followed by the games previously discussed which led to preparing for our last morning on property.

About krock970

Baby Whisperer

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.