Existing Member?

Goodbye Melbourne, Hello Canada. A RECORD OF MY JOURNEY AS I GIVE UP MY JOB, MOST OF MY POSSESSIONS & LIFE AS I KNOW IT TO GO SEE CANADA & WHO KNOWS WHERE ELSE.......

Canada Day, Mt Baker & my new neighbour

CANADA | Friday, 23 July 2010 | Views [403]

I've past my first month in Canada now & the time is flying by. I really feel settled in now & starting to get familiar with the area. There is so much to do here in summer & the Canadians go nuts in the warmer weather. It's like they've been hibernating throughout the winter & once July rocks around they get their party on. Everything is still very green here due to all the rain prior to July. The roadsides are lined with an abundance of daisies, foxtails & wildflowers. It is also berry season at the moment so I've been devouring them to my heart's content. 

On July 1st we celebrated Canada Day. Very similar festivities to those that take place back in Oz for Australia Day, plenty of BBQ's, beer & outdoor fun. I kitted myself out in Maple Leaf paraphernalia & headed downtown to 'Canada Place' to take in the atmosphere and celebrations. The Olympic Torch was relit & they put on a spectacular fireworks display which we enjoyed from Lonsdale Quay.

On July 4th we headed down to the cabin which is located just over the border at the northern end of Washington state, USA. The area is called 'Peaceville Valley' and it is just that - peaceful. The cabin is surrounded by vast wilderness & is extremely quiet. The exception to this would be the day we arrived - United States Independence Day. As soon as we crossed the border we passed trailer after trailer selling fireworks. The border crossing was relatively pain free, and just a little scary. Not sure why but I always get nervous when entering/exiting the US. Our neighbours were letting off fireworks til sunrise the following morning & we found the street littered with firework casings later that day. 

Peaceville Valley is located pretty much at the base of Mt Baker, about a 30km drive from the top of the mountain. Baker is a volcano and back in 1999 it set the world record for the most amount of snow to fall in a season - a whopping 97 feet!! You can actually get a great view of Baker from certain vantage points in Van. During our stay down south an apparent heatwave swept across the west coast of the country. Temperatures soared into the low 30's! We got a tip off from a local that there was a tonne of snow still at the top so we made the trek up on one of the warmer days. There was something odd about being in 32 degrees and having a snowball fight. The mountain looks amazing & I can't wait to hit it once the snow starts falling again. 

After a week at the cabin I made the journey back to Van by myself. I have mastered driving on the other side of the road and I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face as I was cruising back along the highway on a gorgeous sunny day.

The biggest event to happen in the past few weeks would be my first bear siting. I have been hiking all over the mountains here & been waiting patiently to spot Yogi. And where should I have my first encounter? In my own yard of course! When I returned from the cabin I was informed that a bear had apparently made camp in our forest and he didn't wait long to show himself to me. Luckily I had a girlfriend over at the time and we were quick to grab our cameras and get some snaps of the big fella. He attempted to scale our front fence which collapsed under the wait of his 600 pound torso. Then he strolled on up our street like he lived here?? He returned later that night & even as I write this he's somewhere on our property. I can't tell you how petrifying it is to return home in the wee hours of the morning & know that the bear could be sitting right at the front door!! Think I'll relax a little more once winter returns.

Some new experiences in the past few weeks:

Candied Salmon - maple syrup flavour would have to be my favourite. You can literally put syrup on anything over here!

Gap - I've found my replacement for Country Road

Peak FM - It's no JJJ but it's the closest thing I've found so far

The Roxy - a nightlcub located on Granville Street. Not really my cup of tea but you're guaranteed a good time nonetheless

Skunks - unfortunately I am now familiar with their scent. No live sitings but plenty of roadkill spotted

Ravens - looks pretty much like a crow but a bit bigger

Mountain Biking - the boys have taken me on my first down hill ride. Lots of fun but brought back some nasty memories from childhood. Gravel rash - ouch!

Some photos below for your viewing pleasure including the all important proof that the bear exists. I know it's not the greatest pic but you definitely want to see a bear walking away from you not towards you.

K

 

About krit


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.