Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Frustration, Football and Favelas

BRAZIL | Sunday, 20 May 2007 | Views [255]

Just a real quickie as we need to go get something to eat!

Arrived at our flash new hotel on the beach front in Ipanema, to find that we had no reservation, and although we had prepaid they didnt have our money. Very stressful and annoying, thankfully they had a spare room. But in the end we sorted it out and someone had cancelled our reservation, instead of the right one. But the room rate has gone up now, so someone has to pay the difference, but thankfully not us!

We went to the biggest football stadium in the world to watch a local match - we are now official Botofogo supporters and are going again tomorrow night. It is so cool, the crowd is crazy, with drums and chants and flags. And you can buy all sorts of alcohol of the vendors that walk through the seats. it was awesome. We even took the metro there and it was not scary at all.

We went up to see Christ the Redemer, and it was really great. Another surreal moment of standing in front of something I have seen loads in photos, but its right there and its HUGE. it was very cloudy but that made it even cooler as there was swirling mist all around the statue.

Today we went into a Favela on a tour. The biggest one in Rio, which is home to about 20000 people. We took a motorbike ride to the top and then walked back down through the streets. It was an amazing tour and although i was quite scared, due to all the talk of drugs and machine guns and grenades in the end we only met happy smiling people and didnt see any drug lords or guns. I definately wouldnt go there by myself, but i am glad to say have seen both sides of the city.

Now we are off for lunch, and then to the beach...its a hard life i tell you!

About kristinandchris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.