Existing Member?

Kris & Chris & The World

Crossing The Border

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 17 April 2007 | Views [230]

Have arrived safely in Bolivia! And have to admit was a bit freaked out by the border crossing, not the actual crossing itself, but rather the advice given to us by our guide...
-pretend you dont know me as Bolivians hate Peruvians and it will only cause you trouble
-if they take too long just smile and ask if you can fix it
-if they take you to a seperate room, you will have to bribe them with money to let you through
-if for some reason they wont let you through, i can´t help you and that will be it for the rest of your tour
But in the end, the man was fast and efficient, smiled, asked me if i was from Nueva Zealanda and then stamped the passport and off we went. A lot of stress for nothing! Although am still being pretty vigilent as have heard horrible stories about people being scammed and bribed etc.

Anyway, have had a great time in La Paz today and haven´t felt too unsafe. The only funny thing is that the guns they have here are bigger!!! We went to the witches market today which was crazy, you could buy dried llama fetuses, dried armadillo, love charms, and all sorts of other herbs and potions and weird stuff. it was pretty cool! I got a felt hat for the equivalent of NZ$4....laurie - its just like the one you got for the wedding, but they come in about 10 different colours!!!!....

Chris decided to go and bike the famous Death Road today, so I haven´t seen him since 7am this morning and have spent most of the day hoping that he hasnt gone over the edge! I was feeling to run down with the cold to go and basically the whole idea just freaked me out. Witches markets are much easier to deal with.

We have discovered that we are actually doing 3 seperate tours through South America, and now the second one is starting today, so we have lost the 5 aussies and are getting a new guide and 5 new people today.

Tomorrow we are off to the Salt Flats for 3 days and may possibly be staying in a hotel made completely of salt! I plan to lick the walls....

About kristinandchris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.