Existing Member?

Authenticity

Pure Emotions

CHILE | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [204] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that I saw the tiny wooden sign standing at the entry of the most remote airport on our planet. Dyed in black and white, letters were modestly saying “Easter Island”. That day marked a start of an inner discovery of simply pure emotions.
Easter Island is believed to be mysterious. The story of its huge stone moais which scatter over the volcanic slopes is still explored. But facing the statues I was not overwhelmed neither by their gigantic size, nor by the question how they have been transported to their present positions. Deeply touching are the carved shapes of their heads and faces. Closely observed each moai brings its specific and distinct feature which represents remarkable efforts of the ancient islanders to embody and eternalize their ancestors. This arduous art of shaping majestic statues with the purpose to keep alive the bond with the loved ones made me feel respect, faithfulness and warmth.
The place which has most strongly engraved in my memories is Ahu Tangariki. Fifteen imposing sculptures standing gloriously on a coast of the Pacific Ocean with an extinct volcano in the background and rambling horses all around the scenery! The moai are faced towards the island, watching over their relatives and sending them the energy of the ocean which waters were gently hitting the volcanic stones. The view of Ahu Tangariki arose sense of belonging to the nature and to the origins, and at the same time sense of freedom inspired by the limitless ocean.
Another gorgeous landscape could be experienced when stepping at the top of the ancient ceremonial village Orongo with a look to the three islets harmoniously nestled in the infinite ocean. Far ahead blue waters and skies were mildly connected creating a sense of tranquility.
Rapa Nui which is the name of the island in the native language is a true example of authenticity. More than half of its population is indigenous. Beautiful young women dress in traditional costumes and paint their faces with colorful pigments. Men sail for fishing in canoes and perform various rituals of clan rivalries. Local dances are expressive and delightful showing scenes both of war and love.
Easter Island was a spiritual encounter that genuinely renewed the soul. Hopefully, one day I would see this special place again…

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kristina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.