Existing Member?

Born on a Thursday

Backpacking in Eastern Europe 2016

GREECE | Wednesday, 31 May 2017 | Views [486]

First day traveling. Last night was restless, early wake up.

On the flight I spoke to man from Iran. He was visiting his relatives and now he was going back home. He had also traveled around Europe. From Portugal to Sweden. I got his email and invitation to his home.

The other person sitting next to me in the plane was from Denmark and she was doing internship in a Zoo in Greece.

I found my accommodation thanks to this travel agency guy. Feeling lost like always in a new place and doing new things.

When: 6.9.2016 - 20.34
Where: Hotel Sparta - Athens - Greece



Wake up at eight and breakfast. It was raining almost whole day. I headed to train station. My train would leave at 14.18, I had plenty of time so I was wandering around and ate some greek salad and i bought toothpaste from a tiny shop.

The idea was to go to Kalampaka, but I decided to travel to Thessaloniki on impulse. During the whole trip I was talking to this american architecture girl.

Same night we had dinner in Thessaloniki. Starting to regret traveling without smart phone...

When: 8.9.2016 - 00.29
Where: Hotel Telioni - Thessaloniki - Greece

 

I woke up around nine. I found out I was sharing balcony with another room which was weird. The breakfast buffet was full, no wonder it was difficult to get accommodation here.

I wandered around in Thessaloniki and took few photos. I finally found an internet cafe, but I lost a lot of time waiting for the place to open.

I decided to move on again because I wasn’t going to spend 40e for night again. Bus to Skopje left at 17.30 and arrived around nine. During the trip I met some man from Kosovo, studying IT. Talking with him made me feel kind of guilty, or thinking about how easy it is to be finnish and live in Finland. Of course things can always be better, but we have no reason to complain. The american girl also told how hard it is living close to Mexican border. The war on drugs.

I’m traveling way too fast now and the reason might be fear, but I forgive myself because I’m a beginner. I’ll get experience and confidence the more I travel. I’m alone in my dorm.

When 8.9.2016 - 21.27
Where Backpackers Hostel - Skopje - Macedonia

I woke up at nine. I was looking at the bun sitting on the table for long time, before I took a bite and luckily it was also meant for me as breakfast. I thought it would rain the whole day but it was surprisingly sunny and I was wearing way too much and sweating like a pig. I met Korean guy who had traveled for 3 years, longest time of the all the people I have met during my trip. Hearing the prayer and seeing mosque made me feel far away from home. Also a British girl moved in my dorm room tonight.

When 9.9.2016 - 20.04
Where Backpackers Hostel - Skopje - Macedonia

I was unlucky and stupid, but also very lucky today. I was cheated for buying 2 sunglasses, I didn’t lose much, mostly just my pride. Next time I’ll just ignore everything. In my shame I got rid of the glasses in nearest toilet trashcan. Good luck was when I was in the fortress I found a local engineer, who gave me a free tour around the fortress, told me about Macedonia and Skopje and after we had traditional Macedonian food. Then the weird thing. I spoke to this Australian guy in my hostel and he had the weirdest story. And he was also weird. It sounded like he was in some kind of Christian audio therapy camp and people there were crazy like he said and extreme Christians. Skopje itself is a weird city, the bazar and the other part of city are like two different worlds. And the town was mostly destroyed in an earthquake in the 50’s.

When 10.9.2016 - 20.06
Where Backpackers Hostel - Skopje - Macedonia

Not much to tell. Wake up at eight. To Bus station. From Skopje to Tirana. The british girl had problems with her ticket, but it was solved. It seems like our chemistry doesn’t match, but it’s ok. We were just traveling. Trip took eight hours, with custom mess. I must say it was the scariest road ever, but I still managed to sleep a lot. Mountain road going all over the place, but the sights were amazing. I met a japanese backpacker during the trip and he had traveled for 7 months. Japanese backpackers are rare I guess. My snacks were very unhealthy. Candy, chocolate bars and >chips> and nuts. When I arrived, me and the british girl separated. When I stepped in the dorm room of my hostel this Australian girl starts talking and she talks so fast I can barely keep up and she asks if I wanna go to dinner with her and some other people and I said why not. I also met that british girl later that night and it was funny. Like I had known her for years, but of course it wasn’t true.

When: 12.9.2016 - 00.08
Where: Hostel Destil - Tirana - Albania

Today didn’t happen a lot, I had breakfast in company of that australian girl and said goodbye to her, it was time to separate again. Then I went to internet cafe to upload my travel journal. Checked my email, sent email to people who I had met on the way. Also I checked my balance so I can now estimate my spending for next weeks. I booked bus and hostel for next place for tomorrow. Bus to Kotor would leave at six in the evening so I have a lot of time. Tirana is a difficult city to walk. Distances are long. Many have recommended to use taxi but I havent done that yet. I was talking with some waitor about albanian language and I asked if it is close to italian, he said it is actually closer to greek or turkish some say, but it is an unique language. Then he opened up about Albania’s problems, economic problems of course. He also mentioned how before there used to be clans in Albania and whole family lived in same house. I think I have changed somehow, even there is still long way to go. I meet a lot of people and in few moments they are gone and it is alright, they are still important.

When: 12.09.2016 - 22.00
Where: Hostel Destil - Tirana - Albania

I arrived last night very late to Kotor so I couldnt write. Yesterday I got to know Albania a lot better on a guided tour. I’ll skip the tour part because you can read about it online. Albania was a communistic country and a closed country, now there is still some corruption left but it is like the guide said 100 times better nowdays. Albania has about 8% of tourism according to my guide. Also my guide told funny stories about the end of communism (1989) for example bubblegum was a new thing so all boys including the guide who was a kid that time ate the same piece of gum. Also his mother didn’t trust banana, but nowdays it’s her favourite. Also Albania is special in another way, here muslims, christians and atheists live in harmony, which is very rare. Then I went to biggest attraction of Tirana. Bunkart, a bunker made into a museum.Bunker was built by the dictator.

Today I traveled with taxi for first and second time. Second time the price a bit too much, but i didnt care because it was still cheap for me . After bunkart I had a lot of time and so I went to a cafe and internet cafe and then changed last big leks to euros. Bus was pretty empty, besides me there was a student from Albania, backpacker from Taiwan and a french couple. It was a full service trip, toilet breaks and free cookies for all. The Taiwanese girl had traveled for 21 months and she had a lot of stories, we spoke a lot, about how traveling changes you and she said she doesnt care about places, but people when she travels. She was so kind that it made me laugh. It was funny to see her leave with her huge backpack, even the driver had problems with it. Another great person. I was the only person going to Kotor and problems started after it was just me and the driver. He was getting tired and we had to stop 2 times before Kotor. It was scary because the road was already like serpentine, but other than that he was a nice guy and I’m still alive. Trip was about 6 hours and I arrived in the hostel half past midnight. First impression of Montenegro: Roads are a lot better than in Macedonia and Albania.

When 14.09.2016 - 09.22
Where: Hostel 4U - Kotor - Montenegro

Yesterday I climbed fortress of Kotor. I met there first backpackers from Finland during my trip and some croatian woman, with whom I spoke the whole way coming down and I had a burek with her. I had dinner with 2 girls in a nearby restaurant because it was recommended by the waitress I met on the street. Today was the first laundry day which is great. I spoke to an Aussie girl in the hostel and she had a huge bedbug problem. She had spots all over and she was washing everything clothing she had and her bags. I’m lucky that I hadn’t delt with that yet. I spent night with 2 canadians, 2 guys from usa and one australian.

When 15.9.2016 - 11.11
Where Padrini - Kotor - Montenegro

I woke up at nine, packed, checked out and went to breakfast. I was very tired and had a headache so I was just sitting in the livingroom sofa of the hostel all morning. I rented a bicycle and cycled by the beach and went as far as I could. I came back and said goodbye to everyone and left. On the way to busstation I met the same waitress again and I playfully said I’ll miss her. She told me the summer is almost over and that the annual storm which is clear sign that the summer is over, is coming soon. She said it will be raining hard and windy. So trees will fall and water is up to your knees. And when the storm comes you have 10 minutes to get to safety. In the busstation I met an old friend, Japanese guy who I met on way to Tirana. He just came to Kotor and I was leaving, I said I’m sorry I’m traveling fast, he seemed a bit sad. He told me the brittish girl I met in Skopje went to different direction, no wonder, she had already seen Croatia. When I arrived Dubrovnik I was already annoyed, the moment I step out of the bus there are 2 people trying to sell their apartments for a night and not so friendly even, ok one of them was alright. Then I found out the hostel is 3 km way from me so I decided to pick the closest available apartment, because it was getting late. It was very expensive, but at least I could sleep well and watch tv.

When 16.9.2016 / 00.06
Where Apartment PRLENDA / Dubrovnik / Croatia

Terrible pain on my left chest, I dunno the reason. The apartment lacked some things, I wouldn’t mind but I did pay a lot and it was promoted that there would be satelite tv. Also there was no toilet paper so I had to improvise and sofa broke just because I sat on it. I left Dubrovnik at 11.00. During almost the whole trip I spoke with this very friendly Croatian woman. The moment she spoke to me I found out how friendly and nice she was. I felt like she was a person I could speak about anything with her. I told her how I had changed during the trip, how I am talking with strangers and asking girls out, when at home I was shy and nervous. She told me about her finger puppet theater for kids and drama theater for adults. We also spoke about diaries and how weird it is reading them after years, I guess she gave me wrong name cos I cant find her on facebook, oh well. The hostel where I stay is the finest on my trip so far.

When 16.09.2016 / 22.38
Where Hostel 4 you / Zadar / Croatia

Today I woke up late, quater to ten. I walked around Zadar’s old town for whole morning and afternoon. I walked the shoreline as long as I could, when I walked back I found an australian woman in a small park. She had been cycling in Europe since June. Apparently she couldn’t imagine getting back to normal life. After a while I bumbed into french girl, she seemed nervous somehow. We had lunch and went separate ways. In the evening I went out with 2 Croatian women. We spoke about movies, pets and school. One of them turned out to be huge anime fan, but she also liked similar music as me.

When 18.09.2016 / 00.33
Where Hostel 4 you / Zadar / Croatia

Today the plan was to go to plitvice, but it was promised to rain so I decided not to. I went to get snacks from Lidle, I went to the busstation, to get ticket for tomorrow. I cant believe how I got lost, I was walking straight road I think and even with a map. I ended up by a graveyard where I asked for directions. I was close though. I also went to museum of illusions, which was smaller than I thought, which was a disappointment and the puzzles made me feel stupid, I couldnt complete a single one. I recently was thinking about was this all for nothing. Maybe because lately I have spent an hour or 2 in front of computer in the hostel daily. It’s a pity there isn’t other backpackers here besides me, only some tennis people. Well today came 4 french girls, but they want to be by themselves. I was also thinking why am I alone? Is it my fault? Even though everyone says I’m a good person. Why there’s no one traveling with me? Is it my choice?

When 18.09.2016 / 20.20
Where Hostel 4 you / Zadar/ Croatia

I think I felt desperate yesterday, because I was alone in my hostel in Zadar. Not a lot happened today. I left hostel, walked to the bus station, bought snacks and ate a piece of pizza. This time bus was full of Croatians and it seemed like I was only foreign in the bus. Some granny sat next to me, I didn’t speak to her, I didn’t even try, because I got bad impression of Croatians or most of them, so the trip was pretty boring. I was just looking at the sceeneries passing by. The moment I arrived in the hostel and in my dorm room I checked my room, put on my sheet (first time during this trip), packed day bag and went to eat. It is impressive how fast I can pack and unpack nowdays. I met a young french couple on way to the hostel and later that evening we played uno together. 2 Irish, one from Hong Kong and one from Austria joined also. It was nice to play a game after a long time. I feel like I could have brought a small card game with me. I have to admit Croatians seem nicer here. It is great to be again with backpackers.

When 20.09.2016 / 00.09
Where Chillout Hostel / Zagreb / Croatia

Yesterday woke up, packed and walked out of the hostel. I just noticed that I have forgotten my towel to Zagreb. Whatever I just wandered around the city, bought a small souvenir, I found a Hobbit bar or actually it's name is Tolkien's house. House was full of Tolkien themed stuff. My cousin would have probably been thrilled.

Then I walked past one park where 2 dogs were playing. I ate my snacks which were leftovers from yesterday's trip. I left the hostel without saying goodbye to the malesian girl, even if she made impression on me. Why should I have? Many have left me without saying goodbye and it is hard to stay together for long time during this trip. I went to museum of broken relationships. Collection of items and relationship stories behind. Touching for me was a small story from Armenia from decades ago. Trip from Zagreb to Ljubljana was surprisingly long, we were one and half hour late, I have never had to wait so long time. I felt like sending hate mail. We were stuck in customs when the other lines were moving smoothly. I arrived in Bled a little over ten in the night. Keys were waiting for me next to a postbox.

When: 22.09.2016 / 9.19.
Where: Hostel Bledec / Bled / Slovenia

Today didn't happen much. After I woke up, I spoke to some aussie guy, which was just leaving the same morning. Then I went for a tour. Saying hi to old friends, in the hotel, the restaurant and the school. Many were happy and surprised to see me. I got 2 free dinners and breakfasts and discount for a massage. I was talking a lot to an old lady who helped me a lot last time who is working in the school. I told about my trip, she told that there had been again 2 girls from my previous school doing practise in the hotel. She even offered me a ride to Klagenfurt. There was someone who I didnt remember, apparently he was a student then and now he was working as waitor in the restaurant of the hotel. I felt bad for only remembering him barely. I finally found better floss which I had been looking for the whole trip. I went back to the hostel, it was time to publish part 2 of my travel journal which took more than an hour. After that there wasnt a lot of time for my massage so I went back to the hotel. After my massage I went around the familiar lake, last time was more than a year ago. I was doing the in a haste because I had my dinner. At the dinner, I ate everything and a lot, starter, main course and desert. Today was second laundry day of my trip. It's a pity that I havent taken photos of people I have met, or well one person, but no one else.

When: 22.09.2016 / 22.11
Where: Hostel Bledec / Bled / Slovenia

This day went planning and worrying about next days.

I woke up and went to have breakfast in the hotel. I saw a familiar old man, actually I dont remember his name. We traded few words. He said that I have changed that I'm not a boy anymore like last time we met. I took a nap after because I have been sick for few days now, flu and sore throath. Although today was better than yesterday. I went to the school to use the internet to book accommodations and transportations. The first idea was to go to Graz, but then I noticed that there was barely any accommodations in the town, so I decided to go to Wien after all. At the dinner I met more familiar faces, 2 waitresses who I used to work with during my practise. One of them had dyed her hair which was weird and hard to get use to. I ate as much as I could and in the end I was so full that I had to digest for few minutes. I went around the lake again, this time with slower pace.

When: 23.09.2016 / 21.53
Where: Hostel Bledec / Bled / Slovenia

Seven Vienna is the worst hostel I have ever been in. Reception is open in weird times, expensive prices, dormitories are not in same building, but scattered at least in 4 different buildings, broken and dirty. Yesterday I checked out, went to the hotel and ate breakfast. I spoke with the receptionist for a long time, also an old friend. We spoke about life, games and traveling. Before leaving I made a small cycling tour. I rode to the other side of the lake and found a small road which I followed and found out there was a camping place and a railroad, which didnt seem to be in use, it seemed old. There was also a long old stonewall. There is something facinating about abandoned buildings. While waiting for my ride to Klagenfurt I went to the hostel and checked few things online. So I got a ride to Klagenfurt. The sceeneries were amazing on the way there and the road was very curvy. I saw a 2nd world war memorial for jew victims who built the road and died building it. The memorial was beautiful and terrifying at same time. We had difficulties finding the bus station in Klagenfurt and in the end I had to take a taxi and I didn't even have enough cash to pay him, luckily he it was enough for him still. I slept almost the whole trip. There was no one to talk to. When I arrived in Wien, I called the hostel and asked how can I reach it. I bought 48 hour public transport ticket, so I didnt have to worry. In the subway I was talking with a girl from Singapore. I arrived in the hostel reception around seven in the evening and noticed the weird opening times, the reception was closed and I was hungry so I went to the closest restaurant which was chinese and expensive, but I didn't care. I decided to use sticks even if it was difficult and I was hungry.

When: 25.09.2016 / 09.44
Where: Westbahnhof / Wien / Austria
 
I swear I had 4 pairs of socks before I went to Bled. One pair I forgot to Kotor that I know and microfiber towel I left in Zagreb. Probably the girl who washed my laundry forgot to give me those socks or something. I woke up at eight because I was hungry and I couldnt sleep anymore. So I went to eat to Subway, after that I got tickets to Brno. The bus to Brno would leave 18.00 tomorrow so I'll have a lot of time, but I wouldn't like to spend so much time in an expensive city. I walked whole day from eight to seven in the evening. I only went to the hostel to ask some info and to pee. I was just wandering without destination, but it was pretty nice. I bought a new coin purse because the first one broke. I went to the big cathedral just few minutes. I walked away from the main square from the bunch of people, I dunno where I was and where was the closest subway stop. I found a smaller church which didnt have that much people in, just 2 old guys and me. I sat down on a church bench for a while. I enjoyed the silence. Sermon came from the altar, first I thought it came from a player, but it was actually an old man who was sitting left from the altar. Sitting there in the church I had to think about religion. Is it just brainwash? Does it matter what you believe in if you don't harm anyone? The silence was magical. After leaving Finland it has been hard to enjoy it. I put some money in the collection and lit up a candle. Why? I dunno I felt like it. I went back outside to the noise. I walked back to the big cathedral, this time to the south side. I saw a sign "tower's entrance 350 steps", I couldn't resist the challenge. And it wasn't that bad at all. I was thinking about a another tower in germany which I climbed and that was a lot worse. Going up and down I was talking with a hostess from Singapore. I walked with her for a while. She wanted to visit a famous cafe in the city, until she saw the line which was so long that it reached outside the cafe, she changed her mind. We walked on. Our ways departed by side of a big park, I took a photo of her for a memory. My feet were killing me and it was time to dine. I took subway from the park to the railwaystation and the rest of the way I walked. There was something in the evening. Maybe I had changed again.

When: 25.09.2016 / 20.30
Where: Seven Vienna / Wien / Austria

Yesterday before sleeping I spoke to a Mexican girl. She wasnt sure about her plans but she wanted to stay one more night in Wien. Same evening I spoke with 3 britts who were staying in same room with me. I mentioned brittish tv series which I liked and we also spoke about rick and south park. Good times like they said. I woke up around seven, got up at eight, packed, waited for the reception to open. I went to the reception and checked out. Nothing special happened today, no special encounters. I just walked the whole day again. I found the palace and I was thinking for a quite a while if I should take the guided tour, the price wasnt bad for Wien's standards. Only 5e. I didnt go, I was walking in the park and I checked the cathedrals from outside. I was thinking should I eat falafel or KFC today, KFC won this time. I put my big bag in a safe in the bus station for the day so I didnt have to carry it around and also it would be safe there, the price was 4e and 10 cents for the whole time. Bus to Brno left 20 minutes late. In the station and during my trip I spoke to one french guy. He was walking around the station in panic then I told him from which platfrom the bus leaves from. He is planning to take the transsiberian railway to Asia, but before that he'll travel a bit in Europe. I didn't sit next to him during the whole trip, I needed space. Arriving the biggest bus station ever in my whole life, I called my hostel at least 5 times to make sure I know where I'm going to. The hostel has very nice 80's theme and the only guests tonight are me and a guy from USA.

When: 26.09.2016 / 23.09
Where: Ruta 80 / Brno / Czech

I lied. I said I dont care if I meet people and suddenly they are gone, usually forever. I am not always ready to let go. That I still have to learn. Some I'll miss. Some girls I ask out the first time I meet them. I'm not afraid of denial as I used to be, but it still makes me sad. And to be honest I try way too hard. Last morning I woke up with the american guy around half past nine. I had shower, ate breakfast and we went out. We went to an underground tour, visited one church tower and one crypt/ossuary. First we went to the church tower and when we came out we saw the french guy who I had met yesterday. With him we 3 went into the crypt. Ossuary was the reason I came to this town and it really was full of bones and skulls. You'd think there's a horrible story behind this, but no, only underground burrial, graveyard was overcrowded. There was scary music playing the background which I think was unnecesary. We went to a pizzeria after. Me and the french guy had pizzas, but the american guy decided to just sit with us. It turned out we were all hardcore players. And me and the american guy both watched Rick and Morty. Next morning I made breakfast first time during my trip. I found suspicious oatmeal bag, there was dust or spider web inside and it seemed like the flakes had been chrushed or something. I thought it was meant for everyone and the american guy didn't own it so I made poridge out of it .

The battery of the camera is going out soon, I thought it would last for the whole trip. I have to find a new battery or charger. Another problem. Can't login to facebook, I tried signing in but the site said that the email doesnt have a profile on facebook. I changed my password, but even that didn't help and now facebook demands id with a picture, this has never happened before. Today I was also calculating my spending and it seems like this week I have spent less than ever before during my trip. The evening went by eating chips, talking and listening to music with the american guy. He told how every encounter is important, even it is just once. Like what does it matter if you are never going to meet the person again if you liked spending time with her/him? I told him how I have played games for years and too much and if you asked me what I did last year this time I was probably playing games. I wanted to make a change. How can we remember our lives if every day is the same? Do I want to sit all day or I want to live a life in which every day is for sure different and where I am free. Whole my life I have believed anyone has the right to enjoy life, of course with the responsabilities also. My mother's tone seems to have changed from worried to cheering

When: 28.09.2016 - 10.45
Where: Ruta 80 / Brno - Czech

I’m now writing about yesterday and today. Yesterday I woke up quarter to ten. I ate breakfast, dressed up and went out. The american guy felt sick and he said he’ll stay in bed today.

Not much happened today. I walked around the town searching for battery for my camera and finding my way to bus station. First I wanted to find bus station to book and buy a ticket for tomorrow’s bus. I thought I would find it with my map and just walking to it, but I didn’t the town is difficult to navigate and map didn’t make sense to me sometimes. So after few hours I decided just to take a tram there. I didn’t succeed finding the battery though. When I came back I was surprised finding my american fellow in the kitchen, he said he felt much better and asked if I want to go to the castle because our french friend was waiting for us there also. I agreed even if I was drop dead tired. We walked to the castle. We walked up a hill and past a garden to reach it. When we got to the courtyard suddenly whole bunch of people came out of the castle. We met the Frenchman and headed back to our hostel and to supermarket, because the idea was to cook dinner, which to be honest I wasn’t part of, because I had to get money from ATM. Evening went by eating, drinking, listening to music and talking. It’s weird how before I would have required something special, but now something this simple was enough to keep me entertained. Maybe I was older or maybe I was wiser. We spoke about movies and series mostly. We said goodbye to our french friend. At that moment I had a weird happy feeling, no idea why. Me and the american kept chatting and listening to music. I drank way too much ice tea and had to run to wc plenty of times during the night. Next morning wake up at eight, I was packed and ready to leave in 13 minutes. I said awkward goodbye to my american friend and left. I had one hour adventure with trams trying to reach a electronic store where my camera battery was waiting for me. In the end I decided to walk there. With big relief I got my battery. I’m still depending on electronics. On way to the bus station I ate pork and crochets, delicious. (Side note: Good luck if you can make sense and keep up with this, it’ll be tough) Bus trip (from Brno to Krakow) was 5 hours and a quarter, we were ahead of time. During the trip in bus’s small screen was rolling 3 movies. Alright I guess, but the constant noise made it hard to sleep even for me, the master of sleeping. First movie was a Russian crime movie I guess and second one a french Untouchables and the last one a Russian comedy I guess. During the trip we had 2 stops and I have learnt to use them to stretch, go to toilet and maybe get something to eat and drink if needed. When I arrived I found out quickly how easy it was to navigate in Krakow and map was easy to read. I met a woman from Brazil, with whom I went to eat later that night. It was funny she first said no to my dinner suggestion, but later I met her in a pizzeria and had dinner together after all. I also chatted a lot with an english teacher in my hostel. About travel, hostels and food for example. I also found out for next night i’d have to find another hostel because this one was full.

When: 29.09.2016 - 23.22
Where: Dizzy Daisy Hostel - Krakow - Poland

Today I went to a salt mine. Minibus was almost full. surprisingly short trip from Krakow. During the trip I was making a new friendship with a south african girl. She almost yelled when I said I’m finnish, apparently her boyfriend lives in Finland also and she hadn’t met many people from Finland. The guide in the salt mine was funny and spoke fine english. Almost everything in the mine was made of wood or salt. Great place, but I had problems taking photos, flash or not. I met 5 finns from Pohjanmaa and taught my south african friend to say sano joo. Today I didn’t feel like talking so much, maybe I wanted my own space or I started to value being alone. After the trip I came back to the hostel and spoke to that english teacher I met yesterday. I enjoyed his company even if he was the oldest guy I have met on my trip so far. We spoke quite a long while about street artists, forgetting stuff and traveling among other things. I walked to the next hostel. On the way I bumbed into a german girl, who I met just few minutes ago in the hostel, in a restaurant and I sat down with her for a bit. She was a dancer. She had lived a year in Australia and was dreaming about traveling to Asia. Later that day I went to eat local dumplings, taste wasn’t as good as I thought.

When: 30.09.2016 - 22.23
Where: Lets Rock Hostel - Krakow - Poland

I dont feel welcome in this hostel. I hope it’s just me. I was in Auschwitz today, I felt like I have a responsibility to go there, but in the end I thought I could have done something else. That’s all I’ll say about that. I was in company of a girl from Washington DC. On way there we had problems and arrived one hour late because our driver was lost. After the trip I went to get ticket for tomorrow’s bus and eat in Burger King. I was whole day under the merciless sun and without sun screen. It was a miracle I didn’t get burnt.

Where: Lets Rock Hostel - Krakow - Poland
When: 1.10.2016 - 20.03 - -

Day before yesterday I stayed up late hanging out mostly in the common area of the hostel, where I met a girl from Wyoming state, she was traveling with a friend and they had flown to many places which to me seemed very expensive. I payed a short visit to a karaoke bar in the basement of the same building where to hostel was. I listened to about five songs and it seemed like everyone was with you when you chose a popular song which was fun. When I was going back up huge bunch of people came in the bar, I think they were swedish. Before going to bed I met a crazy french girl, crazy in a good way. Today the hostel seemed more friendly. - Yesterday I checked out from the hostel, found an internet cafe and booked an accommodation for my next place. I rented a bicycle and went around the town, by the river and to the castle. After my ride I went to the train station and ate. Train left and arrived on time. On the way I chatted a bit with a polish girl and slept. I was lost again in Warsaw and I had to ask for directions twice before I found the hostel. I met 2 Koreans in the hostel who had been in Moscow, Saint Peter’sburg and in the Baltic countries.

Where: Hostel Tatamka - Warsaw - Poland
When: 3.10.2016 - 15.22

Today it was raining the whole day. I was walking around the city with Ukrainian girl I met last night. We went to park and old town, but came back quickly because of the rain. I think hostels could be divided in 2 cathegories: official and home-like. And this one was official. After bookings I wrote a little and made sure I can walk to the right bus stop tomorrow. I must have been quite a sight to see me walking there with shorts and shirt in the rain, because my other pants were drying. After that I didn’t know what to do so I took a nap.

Where: Tamtaka - Warsaw - Poland
When: 3.10.2016 - 20.16

It has been month since I started my trip. Arrived in the Athen’s airport, asked information from the tourist info for the first time and stepped in my first accommodation. Yesterday I woke up too early, at six. I thought trip to the bus station would have taken a lot more time. I was there just before seven and my bus was leaving half past eight. During the whole trip I was watching movies, I thought that I’ll take full advantage of the movie selection they had in the bus. I watched Madagascar 3, Edge of darkness, Change up and Escape plan. I got headache for watching too much screen and not eating that much. There werent many stops on the trip and not much time during the stops, although the bus had a toilet which was working which was rare. During the day and the trip I ate only tuc-crackers and 2 snickers bars. Arriving Kaunas, I instantly called my hostel and got myself a map, these things had become routine tasks for me already. Another town which was easy to navigate and map was simple. This must be my favorite hostel, the reception girl was one of the nicest people I have ever met and the hostel itself is very cozy, like a home. I asked the hostel girl is there any truth to the rumor that Lithuanians are related to Indians, because I heard this from another Lithuanian. She said the Lithuanian language has some similarities to Sanskrit. Dormitory next to mine had 2 English men and a Swede. I had a short chat with them later, little did I know I would meet one of them later somewhere else. I asked the basic things again, where are you from, where are you going, how long is your trip. I gave myself a quest to find out if I could spot similarities between Indian and Lithuanian cultures, even if my knowledge of Indian culture is very limited. I still think the food I ate in traditional Lithuanian restaurant the first night had some similarities to Indian food, slowly cooked beef pieces with tomato sauce (I think) and salad and boat potatoes with it. This was main course. The starter was deep fried fish with some dips and little bit of salad. Delicious, but I thought best option was to eat them just with bare fingers. Something to note, nothing was on a plate. It was the first time I ate starter and main course. I was very full. I just started to value local food. It seems Finnish have a lot more common with the whole Baltic countries than with Sweden or Russia. The language and culture, but what happened to our food? Why we don’t have similar food like in Estonia for example. When I came back I had a long chat with this German girl who was originally from Canada.

Where: Monk’s Bunk - Kaunas - Lithuania
When: 05.10.2016 - 09.10

Today I woke up around eight. I went to the living room to write my diary. I was walking whole day. I walked to the white church, past it to the park and to the old communistic amusement park which seemed very suspicious place, but according to the hostel girl it works actually. From there I walked on to this another white church, catholic, but modern design with a tall tower. I ate a little after that in this sushi place, before going to this devil’s museum. The hostel girl told me about it and I was already excited. Apparently this guy collected wooden devils for whole his life and the museum told everything about the devil. I was very into the museum, I took so many photos that my camera’s battery almost run out again. Finally I went to take a quick look at the castle and the old town, before buying an universal charger for my camera’s battery. That night I ate in the same restaurant again. This time rabbit stew with potato smash and root vegetables.

Where: Monk’s Bunk - Kaunas - Lithuania
When: 05.10.2016 -22.48

In a week I’ll be at home. Today I didn’t feel like doing anything or talking to anyone. I was long time on computer. I feel like going home, I hope only today. I was just cycling and eating, but other than that I was all the time in the hostel. The Lithuanians seem like the nicest people I have met on my trip. Many help when asked, but the difference is that I feel like Lithuanians help even without asking. Around five I took a nap after that I felt little more cheerful.

Where: Monk’s Bunk - Kaunas - Lithuania
When: 06.10.2016 - 21.33

Rain. It has been raining almost during whole my trip, but before I didn’t care because it was warm. Now it is too cold not to care. It is funny how one week ago in Krakow it was still sunny and warm. I got up late, around ten. I checked out and walked straight to the shopping mall close to the bus station. I ate a pizza with company of a Lithuanian girl. I just saw her and asked if I could sit at the same table and she said sure. We spoke about movies and she really liked horror. We spoke about how unique horror movies the Saw movies are. Most horror movies don’t teach anything, but we both agreed that Saw teaches to enjoy your life and in the end you are the only one who can help yourself. I met an american guy in the bus station who I had met last night in the hostel. We took the same bus to Riga. On the bus I watched the movie 300. He was so nice that he helped me to find my hostel, he probably thought I don’t survive without smartphone. I mean it has been difficult, but I am still alive. After finding both of our hostels, he stayed in different hostel, we went to eat pizza, which was honestly so expensive, but it was big and we shared. I had problems with the hostel doors. The outside door didn’t lock at all and when I was closing another door I accidentally pulled too hard and the nob came off, which according to the receptionist has never happened. She said she saw nothing and I saw nothing and the security camera saw nothing so I should be fine, I hope. Now it just makes me laugh. I mean if I still get caught, I don’t mind paying the bill.

Where: Red Nose - Riga - Latvia
When: 08.10.2016 - 00.32

I have to admit I am home sick. I miss playing games and watching movies, my own bed, few friends I got and my family. I got up very late, after ten. I went to the KGB museum today and that was pretty much it. I was just walking around the town again. The KGB building looked normal from outside, which was the point, no one knew what was going on and everyone was brainwashed to love the soviet regime. The guide casually told us that his grandpa was here when he was little, but of course like he, when you are little you don’t know much about the world around you. I was just thinking that during history of mankind, people have invented many ways to hurt. And for what? Because someone is different? And when big boys play little guys get hurt. After the tour I ate and walked to bus station and internet cafe. Rain got me feeling blue and I didn’t feel like doing anything. Again I walked without destination.

Where: RedNose - Riga - Latvia
When: 08.10.2016 - 00.32

I have really started thinking about what I’m going to do when I get home. I’ll get series ticket to the movies, look for any kind of work I can get and I’ll find out about capoiera and Chinese language courses. Today I woke up earlier than last morning. I laid in bed until the last Russian had left the room. No offence to Russians, but I wanted to be alone. Yes, last night there were 4 Russians in my room. 3 girls and a man. One couple who came in the afternoon and I had small chat with them, I mentioned that I speak a little Russian. Left my keys to the reception, when for a tea and right after to Pizza hut for a pan pizza. I have to say that Riga or the whole Baltic countries are surprisingly expensive. I was walking around in Riga’s fanciest shopping malls in the whole town before going to the bus station. On way to Tallinn I couldn’t watch any movie in my screen, it had some problems, instead I listened to music, from the same screen, especially 80’s music. I really liked this song Gina T - Tokyo by night and I played it several times during the trip. Behind me sat some suspicious guys who seemed like straight from Russian mafia. One of them said something to me about my screen or my headphones at the beginning of trip, but I didn’t understand him. He also had a weird nose, like it was broken or something. When I arrived at the bus station, I waited for my brother who works in Tallinn, because we were going to pizzeria that night. I told a lot about my trip maybe a bit too much. After the meal he was so nice that he lead me to my hostel. This hostel and the one in Riga feel like a fortress. Lock in the outside door and 2 number combination locks inside. I had a chat with the receptionist and some Russian guy who apparently was the gate keeper. We spoke about studying languages and the prices in Baltics and the Nordic countries. In my dorm room there was a girl who was going to do travel to Asia by train. She was from Poland.

Where: Hostel Alur - Tallinn - Estonia
When: 10.10.2016 - 10.16 -

Today I had to go to the Backpackers Tallinn hostel, because my hostel didn’t do laundry. It was the first thing I did in the morning. There I met the Swedish guy who I already met once in Kaunas. The meeting was random like last time. We walked around old town whole day, talking about everything. We went to restaurant Pitas to have a coffee break which then turned into lunch break because the meals looked tempting. I have to admit some of the pita bread was actually polarbrod. I didn’t take many photos, Tallinn is already so familiar to me. The plan was to go to this tower which had tunnel under it, but it was closed on Mondays, so today. So we just kept walking. We took another coffee break. He took a cappuccino (if I remember correctly) and I took cocoa with cream and mascarpone strawberry cake. It was expensive, but I thought I don’t mind this time. He told me how traveling molds your brain physically, he studies neuropsychology. He also told me how his mind is already in Sweden, so that is why he takes his last days chill. I know what he means, I felt that way since I was in Krakow. Later I had a massage because I thought I deserve it.

Where: Hostel Alur - Tallinn - Estonia
When: 10.10.2016 - 20.19

- What happens when I get home? Will I be the same before I left? Sitting whole day in front of computer and being afraid of human contact? Or have I changed permanently into more adult and more brave person? In the end it is up to me and I should already know. About yesterday a bit more. My Swedish friend told me on our coffee break, very carefully and indirectly first, about how he had eaten dog in China. He was worried I would get angry like many would, but instead I said it is their culture. And how are we justified to eat pork, cow or chicken? And what makes eating dog wrong? Dog is a pet, but so could be a pig also. And what comes to eating meat for me personally. There are many reasons to stop, but I’m not ready. At least not yet. So the swedish guy had traveled in Asia before this trip in Europe and he said he might be going there again for next trip. Today was spent by swimming, getting a ticket for tomorrow’s ship and watching a movie from big screen. I dined with my bro again. Kebab at the freedom square. Chill day like yesterday. Like always, I have got almost everything ready for tomorrow. Packed as much as I could, had shower and brushed my teeth, I’m just waiting for my phone to be charged. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward for going home. After all I have been gone only 5 weeks.

Where: Hostel Alur - Tallinn - Estonia
When: 11.10.2016 - 23.20

 

Hello No I’m not at home yet, I’m in ship’s bar telakka on way to Helsinki, listening to the quitarist. I woke up around eight and in 20 minutes I was already out from the hostel. Of course I got lost again, I don’t know how, I had been to the harbour yesterday and I was next to the Viru market and I turned wrong direction and I actually asked directions from someone. Lets blame sleepiness. I put my backpack in a safe and went to eat expensive breakfast nearby. After eating I brought the plate to the dishwashing corner, little act of kindness. It has been my long dream to backpack or something similarl has been in my mind for years, but last november I started planning for real. Reading articles, watching guides and reviews of all kinds and writing travel plan and what to bring and so on. One thing I already knew and accepted and what actually happened is that nothing went like I planned. It seemed most my family and some of my friends was againts this idea and I have to admit I also had worries and doubts. People said it is crazy and it is enough that I go to Norway and because I had one unfortunate experience before. It seemed that people’s mind didn’t change even when my trip started.

Reason I haven’t done this before is that I always have lacked self esteem and little trust in myself. Last Christmas I thought I have to make changes in my life if I want to do this trip. I was reading a selfhelp book and started walking regulary everyday, systematically decreasing time in front of a screen. I got work place in Norway and in a place I had been dreaming of for few years. One day working this one customer said I should do my trip, if I’m sure, without listening to anyone, because they aren’t living my life. Those words got stuck in me.

Where: Bar Telakka - M/S Finlandia - Baltic Sea
When: 12.10.2016 - 13.07

I’m now sitting in a lunch cafe in my home town. It is always unusual coming back to your neighbourhood. I’m few kilometers away from home. The last night before heading home I was at my friend’s place in Helsinki. We watched South Park, Adam Ruins Everything and The Strangers horror movie. I tried to save him from my travel stories because I knew he isn’t interested, so I didn’t say much. Later I’ll make a wrap-up of my trip and upload photos of my trip: Maybe my trip was too fast and I could have experienced more, but it was my first backpacking trip and I call it practise.

Where: Pikkirilli - Kirkkonummi - Finland
When: 13.10.2016 - 13.36

About kristhor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.