Existing Member?

Krista's Travels

Puerto Vallarta 2010

USA | Sunday, 28 February 2010 | Views [583]

Lazing around on the Patio

Lazing around on the Patio

Just back from 12 days in Puerto Vallarta, thanks to my good friend Lynne and her Mom's generous offer to let me crash with them at their time share. For once I didn't feel I needed a vacation, as my work schedule has been super slow this winter, the weather absolutely divine, and my new home a happy and comfortable one. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable time, and I especially appreciated the chance to spend so much time swimming in the ocean, feeling the warm sun while napping on the sand, eating tacos and tamales and fresh squeezed orange juice, and speaking Spanish again. Oh how I adore Latin America and all its colors and friendliness. Alas, my weight-gain plan of gorging on avocados, tamales and tortillas, greasy roasted chickens, and pina coladas did not work: I came home with the exact same 122 pounds I left home with 12 days ago.

We mostly stayed near the city, but if you read in between the lines of all the extravagance and waste of the rich white tourist culture that is so prevalent there and at such a contrast to the local poverty, there is so much beauty to behold. We encountered so many interesting birds, iguanas, flowers, and sunsets. The Malecon walkway along the waterfront is chock full of neat sculptures and people making amazing sandcastles. The indigenous artwork of the Huichol people is wonderful and intricate. And I get a silly pleasure from bumping along in a crowded bus down cobbled streets, something I just don't see enough of here! 

We did a few really wonderful day trips in search of quieter pastures (beaches and forests, birds, trees, and serene wind and waves) and wandering grounds. We visited the botanical gardens, a dear little pueblo nearby named El Nogalito, where our good friend Jaime was staying for a week, Sayulita (a sweet beach town an hour north), took a water taxi to Yelapa (which sadly got electricity 7 years ago but is still a wonderful little place with no cars), and hiked from Boca de Tomatlan to Las Animas along the shoreline mainly through the forest. 

I wrote a long entry on the day we did the hike, so I'll include that as a follow up entry to this one. I won't go into detail about the rest, because I won't be able to do every moment the same kind of justice as I did for the Las Animas outing. Do feel free to ask if you want to know more about anything in particular.

I'm happy to be home and ready to dive into the woods and the garden, foraging and planting. It is so beautiful here at home and I'm happy to be back! It's just as exciting as landing in an exotic land, the coming home to a place that you love. I hope you are all well!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.