Existing Member?

Krista's Travels

Four Days in Sydney

USA | Friday, 7 November 2008 | Views [710] | Comments [4]

Harbor Bridge and Adorable Sydney Ferry

Harbor Bridge and Adorable Sydney Ferry

Well, I've just spent 4 days in the Sydney area. I spent a little time exploring the core area and trying out the fabulous ferry system, and a couple days exploring the beaches and cute towns in north Sydney, in the Freshwater and Manly areas. I've been staying with friends, who are in good proximity to the transit system. I have been especially impressed with the inner city "trains", which are sort of like subways, both above and below ground, though (like BART in San Francisco only much quieter and more pleasant!).

I have noticed an incredible amount of people jogging and lots of school kids out. It's busy at all times of the day on the beaches and the beachside walks. The school classes go to the beaches for swimming lessons which seems much more fun than the boring old YMCA if you ask me. The weather here and lattitude is sort of like LA, but with a much nicer feel because it appears that all the shoreline is public. It's either sandy beach, rocky headland, wooden docks/piers, or paved pedestrian pathway anywhere you look. It completely changes things, and I wonder what Bellingham would be like if we had that!

Everything is quite expensive here even with a decent exchange rate. Travelling in a "developed" country is quite a change from Zambia and Guatemala! It is harder to find organic food here although I've found a fair amount of gluten free items in the bigger stores and discovered that my favorite Corn Thins are Australian made (DOH! so much for my eating local back home).

I celebrated the election over dinner with my friends here (Ramona and Maria) since they are American citizens. I was sobbing with emotion when I saw the results at the internet cafe. Tomorrow I take the train 9 hours north to Coffs Harbour, where I will be picked up by my first WWOOF host. Stay tuned!

Comments

1

I miss you already.....but it looks like you are doing just fine.
Love,
Kelli, Nick, and Brice

  Kelli Nov 10, 2008 12:55 PM

2

I miss you already.....
Love,
Kelli and Brice

  Kelli Nov 10, 2008 12:55 PM

3

Great to hear you are on track. I'm heading home - in Kansas right now actually, then thru Colorado to visit a cousin, student and also the Columbine Memorial, then Idaho to visit Rebecca (Chavarria) Santiago if you remember her from camp, and another cousin, then home to get Tommy dialed back in hopefully. Very much looking forward to your first WWOOF report. Take care and lots of love, - Chris

  Chris Nov 11, 2008 12:43 AM

4

G'day mate,
Hope you haven't been too much up a gum tree finding your way around Oz. You were probably pretty stuffed and peckish by the time you got to the bush & were ready for some billy tea, biscuits & a kip. Hope you haven't run into any dingos or bunyips on your way to the dunny at night. Any problem with mossies there? Have you had time to play your ukelele yet, or maybe you've taken up the digeridoo?
I dunno if it's stopped raining here since you left, but we're off to an abso-bloody-lutely sunny week in Arizona soon!
Take care & ENJOY the Lucky Country!
Hooroo, Onya & Lots of Love,
Mum & Bill
p.s. Bill wants to know if you've met any molly dooks yet?

  Mom & Bill Nov 11, 2008 1:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.