Existing Member?

Kristal's Work & Adventures in the Philippines

I am in Manila!

USA | Friday, 11 May 2012 | Views [562]

Hello all,

I made it safely to Manila. The flight was not too difficult and I was able to watch a huge variety of movies on my own personal TV. When I finally entered Manila, I noticed the heat, heat, heat. It is the humidity that is something unlike I have ever felt. I have noticed that Filipinos typically carry around either a fan or a silk rag/scarf to wipe the sweat that comes their head or around their neck. I would die of heat exhaustion if I had to be outside for more then an hour or so without water or something. The sun doesn't help the cause either.

I came to my hotel the first night - as I was driving to the hotel - the cab noticed that there was a VIP coming - he claims that it was the President of the Philippines due to the all the black cars and police escorts. I decided to believe him because that is definitely not something that happens in Fargo everyday.

My hotel is very hospitable to people from the United States of America. My room is equipped with a TV with a plethora of American Television, a fridge and a water cooler (it is not safe to drink tap water). Their is a fitness center, a pool and a complete business center. I am offered a free breakfast, and their is a restaurant that is open 24 hours.

Makati City is the business district of Manila with tall skyscrapers, many many shopping malls, (I live about three blocks from a ZARA, this might be bad) many many american restaurants (my boss took me too a California Pizza Kitchen the first night), and many security guards. I did find myself getting a bit lost yesterday morning, but was directed back to the correct spot by a security guard. The place where I work is give much more security and I have to use about 4 or 5 forms of identification to get to my computer, which is kind of expected. At Integreon, we have our own security guards, one who was nice enough to walk me home this morning instead of taking a taxi.

I hope to post more after this weekend!

About kristalk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.