Existing Member?

All colors of the life

Trekking in the Himalayas

NEPAL | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

My flight took 17 hours. First what I learned on this journey is to not be shy to sleep in the airport. If you fly with a long stopover, take mat and blanket. Find a corner or a place near the wall and lay down. Forget about people who can watching you, it's your first and last meeting. Set the alarm, and sleep.
Kathmandu is a very dusty town. It located in the valley like in the bowl, so the wind is difficult to blow out all accumulated in dust. So take anti-dust mask, it will be useful.
The first law of this country - "15 Nepalese minutes." No one bothered about the time, because between the point "A" and point "B" is always exactly 15 minutes, which can be half an hour, and hour, and three hours. Nobody cares, because it's not matter - the time creates stress, and there is no stress in Nepal. Therefore, immediately get ready to be patient with the time issues.
Nepalese food I can describe in three words - cheap, hot, tasty. Contrary to popular belief no one here eats grasshoppers and scorpions and other exotics. And here are not exclusively vegetarian, meat eaters will not stay hungry. A good dinner in Kathmandu is RS 500, it is $ 5.
A few words about money - 100 rupees is $ 1. All the money are very old and beautiful, drawn on different animals. So if you do not want to buy a lot of souvenirs - bring notes of 10 rupees for everybody. My colleagues were happy.
Nepal is the ideal place for trekking for very many reasons. Firstly, it is very beautiful. I think comments are unnecessary, it is enough to score you Google the word Himalaya. All the trails are landscaped paved with stones, which greatly simplifies the movement in the rain and reduces the chance of getting lost.There are no mosquitoes and other biting insects. If you are too lazy to wear all the stuff (it's about me of course), you can hire a porter for $10 per day. The weather is relatively stable - it's cold at the dawn, hot until midday, afternoon rain. Knowing this, you can prepare your clothes in ahead of time and not to be mistaken with a choice. If you don't have Hiking gear, everything you can buy in here, and much cheaper than at home.
If you are not a professional tracker, don't try to be. In the Himalayas allow yourself to be yourself - if you are tired - stop and enjoy nature, where every moment there is something to admire. You can walk very slowly, but in fact this is the main principle of life in Nepal - do not hurry up, time is not important, important every minute of life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kriss


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.