Existing Member?

My life

Krishna Mandir :Historical and delightful

NEPAL | Sunday, 27 April 2014 | Views [201] | Scholarship Entry

A Visit to Krishna Temple, Patan Durbar Square
The cold breeze made my hair dance on my forehead. The sun had finally begun to set taking away the blazing heat with it. It felt great to finally be there, to stand in front on the Shikhar temple “Krishna Mandir” (Krishna temple) of Patan Durbar Square.
The dim “dio” lights slowly began to flicker lightening the temple. As scooters and bull carts began to whistle through the busy roads. I ascended up the narrow wooden ladders with a guide man who seemed to be a preacher of the temple. He told me that the wooden cravings in the temple’s ground floor tell the story of the Hindus holy book Ramayana and the first floor tells the story of Mahabharata.
On the first floor a dazzling statue of God Krishna stood sparkling in the lights of the dios. I prayed for a while as chants of “Krishna, Krishna” began to fill the atmosphere by the devotees in the temple. The different bells around the temple rang together bringing pleasant music to my eardrums. I descended out the temples admiring the stories of Hindu religious scripts.
Outside the temple it began to darken as the Moon started glistening in the sky. Close by there was a shop with a crowd of people. The Sign board read “Hygienic Panipuri” which is a dish of small puri with potatoes and spices dipped into mouthwatering sour soup. After a long queue my turn finally arrived and yes the Panipuri was hygienic and indeed very tasty.
After the Panipuri, I went to the restaurant right behind the temple which is famous for its great Newari food. The aroma of sizzling Newari food “Bara” mesmerized me as I entered the shop. The smell was very tempting that I could not wait. I quickly ordered my “Bara”.
My Bara arrived quicker than expected and just like the aroma, it was delicious .The rich juice of wheat flour with egg on top fried with hot meat soup was awesome.
My tummy became full and I decided to head home. I had to go through narrow roads where bicycles and motorcycles horned their way through. There were many shops with many beautiful handicrafts. I ventured to one of the shops which had beautiful earthed pots, diaries made up of Nepali paper, pashmina shawls and beautiful handicraft bags. The sight was delightful for all shopaholics in town.
I bought some notebooks and beautiful pencils that were hidden by the curtains in the shop. The night started to get darker and I needed torchlight so I raced back home leaving behind the dazzling Krishna Mandir.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kripasubba


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.