Existing Member?

storyteller

Life change

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 April 2014 | Views [144] | Scholarship Entry

2012 - it was the worst year in my life. I was living and working in Warsaw. I was unhappy. I felt that my life is passing by somewhere else. I felt that I am losing it. That I am not really breathing. Then I decided I have to do something. If not now not ever. So I did. I have been dreaming about New Zealand since I have heard about it for the first time. Decision wasn’t easy. I didn’t have anyone who would like to go so far away for so long. But more and more I was reading about it I couldn’t stop it. I couldn’t rid of the thought about going there. So at the beginning of 2013 I applied for Working Holiday visa, I bought a ticket and all gear I needed as a backpacker to travel. “It is my one life time opportunity” I said to myself and decision was made. I really didn’t know what I am doing. It was my first travel after all. But somehow I knew that I will be just fine.
My trip around New Zealand started from Queenstown. First I was working there to save some money for traveling. But I was also enjoying every minute in this beautiful town. Wonderful hikes, the best parties and when winter came snowboarding on remarkable mountain. With people I have met there we become friends. But it was time to go. My plan of traveling was simple. I wanted to travel around the islands but nothing really specific. In each place I was staying a few days. I started from Milford Sound in Fiordland, then I went to Stewart Island which is one of my best places. I was lucky enough to see kiwi bird in a wild, and to have unique experience to see one day of locals life on the salmon farm. Next I was going north and on my way I could see Mt. Cook which is the highest mountain in the country, Lake Tekapo which is the best spot to watch the stars., Christchurch - city destroyed by earthquake, then beautiful Kaikoroa when I was betting on horse in race and watching whales, kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park and much more. But then I had to find work again. So I crossed the see and stayed in Wellington the capital city. From there I made trip to Mt. Taranaki which is volcano. I hiked to the summit and ate dinner in the crater. My last episode of trip I spent in Bay of Plenty. Working and enjoying the Ocean. In the meantime I was doing short trips. I did rafiting in Rotorua, caving in Waitamo and 19,4 km hiking on Tangariro crossing.
My time came to an end and I came back home. It was my first trip but certainly not the last one. 2013 - it was the best year in my life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About korzeniak


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.