Existing Member?

Wushu Whiteboy Studying Shaolin, Sanda, and Mantis Kung Fu in China

Kung Fu in China Weeks Thirty-Nine and Forty

CHINA | Monday, 26 May 2014 | Views [855] | Comments [4]

In my last post I mentioned that I carried someone on my back up the temple run, but did not do so during the heavily staired portions so I felt like I hadn't pushed myself as much as I could have. The following Friday, I carried Kegan from Canada in a piggyback during the temple run, but this time I carried him the entire way, including up all of the stairs, so I felt more challenged and fulfilled when I was done. Master Xu was at Yanxia Cave and gave me a thumbs up when I reached the top.

During my last Sunday at Kunyu Shan I went to Nine Dragons Pools, which is about an hour and a half walk from Kunyu Shan. On the way back, a street vendor offered me a small sip of scorpion liquor. The bottle was about 60% full of dead scorpions, and entirely full of extremely potent alcohol. He was also selling live scorpions and explained that eating them is good for the joints. Of course I just had to eat a live scorpion to preemptively ensure that I don't develop any joint problems, so now I am infused with scorpion superpowers.

In the courtyard at Kunyu Shan there is a slab of stone that weighs about 150kg. A couple of people laid this slab on top of me while I was laying on my back, and Andre from Germany, who weighs about 80kg, then stood on the slab. 150kg stone + 80kg man = 230kg = 507lbs. A couple of days later, I figured I'd see just how much weight I could take. The first 150kg slab was placed on me, followed by two 55kg stones. At this point breathing was becoming a bit constricted and I decided to err on the side of caution and call it quits at 260kg, which is just over 570lbs.

I left Kunyu Shan Saturday afternoon and arrived in Henan Sunday morning. Today I begin my first day training Shaolin at the temple.

In the past, this was a method of extracting confessions.

In the past, this was a method of extracting confessions.

Tags: china, martial arts

Comments

1

now everytime you pull someone towards you during combat you have to shout, "GET OVER HERE!!"

  jaros May 27, 2014 8:01 AM

2

Scorpions, eh? I'll have to try that! Confessions...? "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!?!?"
;)

Vinnce says, "Hi", btw. He thinks it is fairly awesome that you are studying 'to be a ninja'! :)

Take care, My Friend.

  Kirsten Jun 3, 2014 8:35 AM

3

Hi!

Really enjoyed reading your posts and now even I am inspired to do the same. I am planning to do it only for a month of June. Would you recommend Kunyu? Is June too hot at Kunyu?

Thanx.

  Pallav Mongia May 6, 2015 4:10 AM

4

@Pallav: Yes, I would recommend Kunyu, Songshan is also good, but it depends on what you're looking for. If you send me your email I'd be happy to discuss more detail based on that. It does get super hot during the summer months, so if that would be a problem I would recommend waiting until August, but that also depends on how long you would be there for.

  korric May 6, 2015 6:28 AM

About korric


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.