Existing Member?

A Home Called Barrio

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 12 March 2011 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

Being raised in an urban city, I have been exposed to several modernized things and culture. I did not have the chance to explore my real roots – the culture that my parents used to have.

When I was around nine years old, my grandmother died. And that was my chance to visit our province and meet our relatives back there. At first, the journey was shocking so I needed a bit of adjusting since that was my first time to travel to a far place, far from the place I used to live in. My parents chose to ride the ship rather than the plane, since airfare was way too expensive. It gave me thrills and excitement at the same time, but the moment we stepped on the ship, everything amazed me. I loved that I could see the sea and the islands from the bunk and the feel breeze that touched my skin that night. Then I realized how great that experience was. Our sea travel lasted for more than 24 hours. When we got off the ship, I could sense the real country – no pollution, a lot of trees and full of farm animals. We then rode a bus to the barrio where my grandparents were, and we were able to pass through different places. I really loved the smell of that province – the combination of the carabao smell and the wet trees – I know it sounds funny but that smell was really unique and very country. When we arrived at my grandparents’ house, I was really amazed how old things and customs were preserved. Their house was still made of bamboo, and the well in their lawn still existed. It was my first time to get water from a well, to eat rice cakes, to sleep in a perfectly bare floor, and even to eat on banana leaves. It was also my first time to meet people from that area, our relatives, the neighbors, and more. They were all nice, considering that Bacolod is the Philippines’ City of Smiles. Though they did not know me well, they treated me nicely and guided me through the customs in their barrio. I made friends easily and I learned several street games like piko and Chinese garter. I was able to wander the whole barrio with my friends, and together we tried several activities like climbing the tree and even riding the carabao. It was like riding a horse but more safe, I guess, because the carabaos were less aggressive than the horses.

People say there is no place like home. For me, that place was my home. Although the people, the food and the culture were all new to me, I loved and accepted those easily. Though I am a city girl, I will always look forward to do the things that I can never experience in the city.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About koalabear


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.