Existing Member?

Live It!

Monkey's, Casts and Tacos!

RWANDA | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [743] | Comments [1]

The last two weeks have been spent at the guesthouse in Gahini with the group from Saskatchewan. We haven’t been at the camp. The group who started the camp four years ago had the intention of making the camp self-run, without the need for westerners to come and help them. The role of the team being here now is just to support if needed, but other than that, to stay away from the camp and let the Rwandan’s do everything. Although it would have been a lot of fun to spend some more time down at the camp we were able to find other things to do. Last week we went each day to a town about 5km down the road from where we are staying. We played games with the kids and Rilla and I dug deep into our ‘camp song’ reserve for anything and everything with simple words or lots of actions so the kids could dance along!  We sang Hallelu each day…the song where you divide the kids into three groups. The first group sings ‘Hallelu’, the second sings ‘jah’, and the third ‘praise ye the Lord’. When it is their turn to sing their part they stand up, and then sit back down. I always led the ‘jah’ group because its most fun and you can get them to be super loud and excited. The first day when we did it, the hallelu’s would start and the kids in my group would be jumping up and down all at the wrong time. So there were a bunch of jah, jah, jah’s before one big JAH! I though it was hilarious. They improved.

 

This town was definitely more impoverished than the town we were in last week. The farther you get from Gahini the poorer the people seem to become. The kids were very dirty. They wore the same clothes each day. One girl was wearing a dress that didn’t actually do up in the back. Another boy had a huge hole in his pants, and they were also a bit too big so they fell down. This was a problem while playing the cat and mouse game. You make a big circle and have everyone holding hands. The cat goes outside the circle and tries to catch the mouse who starts inside the circle. The people in the circle try to help the mouse so as this boy, who was the cat, tried to fight through people’s arms to catch the mouse he also had to fight to keep his pants up. It was pretty funny. It is also pretty crazy to see what great caretakers some of these young kids are of their even younger siblings. I’m pretty sure Mom didn’t trust me enough to let me take Kim around with a blanket on my back when I was just 4 years old…rightfully so.

 

We also spent a few mornings at the Gahini Hospital which I really enjoyed. There is quite a large courtyard in the middle of the hospital so we put a blanket down and sang some songs and invited people to come and join us. We had a bit of a program, and then brought out paper, crayons and monkey’s in a barrel. This was only my second time ever playing monkey’s in a barrel, maybe I was deprived as a child but let me tell you it is difficult! Two of the kids got every monkey on their first try. I think my record is 7. Rilla and I had the game with us and ended up playing monkey’s in a barrel with our waitress at the place we went to for lunch. We didn’t speak the same language at all, but we all enjoyed the game. There was one girl the first couple days that we went to the hospital that joined us who was epileptic. She had recently fallen into a fire and received severe burns over her entire body. The doctor at the hospital said that when she came in she was saying God is Good, Praise Jesus. She regularly goes around the hospital and prays for other people who are bed ridden. I really enjoyed watching her dance to our music. She had both of her hands in a cast but would dance like she didn’t have a care in the world.

 

The last couple days of our time in Gahini I spent with Rilla at the rehabilitation centre. I was really excited when I found that there was a rehabilitation centre, and I was even more excited when I found that they had both a physiotherapy and an occupational therapy facility. We spent our time in the occupational therapy room. I have decided that I want to apply to do my masters in occupational therapy so this was a really amazing opportunity for me to see what OT is like in a rural, less developed setting. Annet was the OT assistant who works there full time. She does a lot of exercises with the kids. She told us that they only get an OT come in every few months to assess the children, and sometimes it can be up to two years before they visit again. They also fit and make their own special chairs and stands for support. The last day we were there, there was a group who had come from a couple hours away to have four girls fitted. The one girl was sitting in the chair when we walked in, she had a pillow as well supporting her neck which is weak. She is probably about 8 years old and was born with no arms. This girl was all smiles when we walked in. The aid who was there with her said that she hardly ever stops smiling! It was really precious to see! We also got to know a couple of the kids that were there each day. There are a lot of kids with club feet in the area, so they have their feet casted to correct this. One kid had one foot in a cast, and the other foot was just a ball of skin and bone that had not formed correctly. On the first day I saw him jet out of the room on all fours, fast as a spider! I was worried as I saw him trying to stand and wondered where his mother was and why she wasn’t helping him. I didn’t think he could walk with his legs as they were. Turns out I was way wrong! He ran all over the place and was even kicking away at the soccer ball! There was another little boy who had both legs casted. We had balloons the first day and this kid, Njsenge, worked up such a sweat crawling after this balloon that he batted around the room. These kids have some of the best smiles I have seen. We could not communicate through language, I couldn’t even understand them when they told me their names, but we had a really good time working on puzzles, coloring, playing with balloons and with blocks. It was a great experience!

 

We had a party for the staff of the camp on Wednesday evening which was really a lot of fun! It was no dance party like home where it takes at least a few songs before anyone even gets out on the dance floor. No. As soon as the music was on everyone was on their feet dancing. It was so much fun! We also saw a moth that was the size of a small bird. Legit. I’m not kidding!

 

We are now finished working at Gahini. We spent some of our time making a movie with all the other volunteers and some of the staff that worked at Seeds of Peace. We showed the movie to some of our friends who worked there on the last night. They were so excited to see themselves on video like that! They wanted to watch it a couple times, and then see the individual clips of themselves! It was fun to watch their expressions! They were really sad when we told them we were leaving and not coming back. A couple of the girls even cried. It broke my heart to leave them. They are such sweethearts! I won’t forget my time there soon. But I am also looking forward to what is ahead!

 

We were able to have lunch at Eddie and Bonita’s on Saturday morning. They made us delicious taco’s. Eddie is Rwandan, and Bonita is from Saskatchewan. They are working out here as missionaries. They have amazing stories to tell about their experiences, especially Eddie who grew up as a refugee. His family fled from Rwanda when he was one year old under a bunch of vegetables in the back of a truck to Uganda. He then fled across the border to Kenya when violence broke out in Uganda as a teenager.  This was the second time they had all fourteen of us over to their house for a meal and I am so appreciative of that time and their wiliness to share what they know about the history here. Rwanda is an incredibly interesting country. It is amazing to think about what it has so recently gone through, and where it is today! It is by far the nicest city we have been to in Eastern Africa!

 

There are so many more stories I could tell but I worry about boring you to death so that you never come back to read my blog again. Leave comments! Be safe! Love life!

 

Comments

1

Can you carry me on your back now?

  Kim Jan 13, 2012 10:05 AM

About klnjaa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Rwanda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.