Existing Member?

Live It!

Dhow is Tanzania? ...

TANZANIA | Monday, 31 October 2011 | Views [670]

We were able to go to the Diwali festival on Wednesday night. It was insane!! I now know what it must sound like to be in the middle of war! Basically, everyone came to the street that had all the Hindu temples. There were babies and seniors and everyone in between. Most people brought their own fire works and lit them off in the streets. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone! There were constant shots going off, I hardly knew where to look because everything was being lit up. They had all sorts of fireworks and firecrackers. Some of them only made noise sounding like gun shots. One gave off such a deep, low, loud noise that I could feel it! Others flew up in the air, or spun on the ground, or sent up a gyser of sparks. They also had some legit fireworks that went off from another street! It was a really neat experience, but I wish I had brought earplugs! One firework landed in the tree we were standing beside and lit it on fire. Another went off balance and straight for the crowd lining the streets. Amazingly, I didn’t see one single person get hurt. I was glad that I was there in the middle of it. If I had been at the hotel I’m not sure what I would have thought hearing all that noise!!

 

The next day we traveled up to Bagamoyo on a dalla dalla (Tanzania’s equivalent to the matatu). They are a bit bigger, more like a bus at home with standing and sitting room. Our plan was to take a night boat over to Zanzibar that evening. Unfortunately we arrived to Bagamoyo after dark. NOT what we were planning on doing. It was a pretty sketchy walk to the harbor at that point so a cab driver took us there and made sure we were able to connect with a captain at the harbor. We were told that we could take a Dhow, a traditional boat, but it would not be leaving until midnight so we would have to wait until then. Luckily there was a super nice hotel only 100m away from the harbor! We went there for dinner and then hung around until midnight, at which point we were told that we could not leave then because the boss wasn’t there. We first needed to sign some papers and give our passport numbers. He would be coming at 2am. We waited again in the hotel lobby, dozing in and out of sleep until 2am. Derek went out and was told that the office was closed and we would have to wait until morning. I am pretty sure that God put this nice hotel there specifically for us on this night! We were able to sleep in the lobby with the receptionist for the whole night without having to pay anything!

 

The next morning we woke up and signed our lives away for a trip on a Dhow. It was anchored about 8m off shore in the water. To get there a man came and stooped down between my legs, lifting me, and my bags onto his shoulders!! I must have weighed close to 200 lbs with everything and he lifted me like it was no problem and carried me to the boat! Impressive. The boat was carrying tomatoes to Zanzibar, so we spent the next 7 hours lying on top of crates of tomatoes, sleeping a bit, singing a bit, and lots of it in the direct sun! It was hot. The crew, consisting of 5 men who spoke very, very little English, hoisted the sail as we sang ‘higher, higher, higher’. It was all very manual. Definitely an amazing experience, but I will take the ferry back to the mainland.

 

Zanzibar has been fantastic so far! We are staying in a hostel with free, delicious, breakfasts really close to the harbor and the Old Town. We spent some time walking through the market and the streets looking into small shops. We also got incredibly lost searching for a café that was supposed to have the best spiced coffee in town! When asking people they kept saying ‘just down that street’, ‘right then left then you’re there’, ‘just a tiny bit further’! It was such a maze but we made it. I was really impressed with the spiced coffee, all the spices are grown right here on the island. I’m not sure exactly what was in it but I think it was a mix of cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla and something else. We also had some really delicious crepes. It had started to drizzle a little bit as we went inside so we though we were escaping the rain. As we left however, it started to pour!!!! We ended up running from shop to shop, hiding under the canopies of the building. The doors are all up two steps from the road, and today we found out why. When it rains, and I’m sure during the rainy season it becomes much worse, the streets become more like a river.  You would not want that water rushing under your door and into the house!

 

At night there is the place in the Forodhani Gardens that becomes a night market for dinner. A bunch of different vendors set up booths and sell different foods. They have all sorts of seafood on skewers, as well as something they call Zanzibar pizza which is amazing!! I’ve tried the beef and the banana nutella. It is kind of like a pizza pop in that they are totally covered but they are still round like a pizza, and they are fried in a huge frying pan and are just oh so good.

 

Last night we went to a restaurant that played traditional taarab music. There was a man playing the violin, another on a djembe drum and another on a mandolin. We got to sit on pillows on the floor, eating delicious seafood while listening to them play and sing. It was fantastic.

 

The sunset here is really stunning. It is pretty wild to see the change in atmosphere along the beach as it happens though. The time when the sun starts to sink down towards the horizon must correlate with the time when school lets out for the kids. The beach becomes crowded with kids doing handsprings and backflips in the sand, playing football, playing in the water or jumping off the seawall into the water. Yesterday I saw one kid who could not swim very well, with two used bottles tied together by a string. He wrapped them around his stomach and had his very own personal flotation device. The water is not very deep just beyond the seawall which I think explains the reason for how the kids throw themselves off the wall. Some take a big run at it, others just jump from the side, but they all seem to land in a belly flop. It doesn’t seem like any of them look down before launching themselves off the edge either. It is pretty amusing to watch! After the sun sets they all disappear and it is time for Zanzibar pizza!

 

This morning we took a small dhow to Prison Island. It is only 30 minutes away. They built a jail on the island in the 1800s but it was never used for prisoners. Instead, they used it to quarantine people who were sick during a cholera epidemic. Now it has a resort on it. There are a whole bunch of giant tortoises that we arrived just in time to feed! The oldest one was 185 years old!! They are crazy looking things that don’t feel real. Watching them move is pretty crazy, but man can they eat! We also got to go snorkeling just off the island. It was quite different from Mombasa. There was a lot of really different, beautiful coral. We also saw a lot of brightly colored fish, many of which I recognized from ‘Finding Nemo’. It is amazing the education you can get from a children’s cartoon movie, that and ‘The Lion King’ have proved well worth my watching!!

There were so fireworks in the street!

There were so fireworks in the street!

 

About klnjaa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.