Existing Member?

Passion for Food

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 21 March 2012 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry

Being a food lover, my understanding of any culture comes from the kind of food they serve. From my early childhood, I am a big fan of Thai food, especially the Tom Yom soup. Last year, I got a chance to go to Thailand for a month, where I encountered the authentic Thai Cuisine.
After a night long tiring journey to Bangkok, I was welcomed with a traditional Thai breakfast comprising of Fried Rice, Chicken and Tea. This encounter was very refreshing and pleasant indeed. For lunch, the hot and spicy Tom Yom soup is a must in a traditional Thai lunch. Other items includes: Fish, Rice, Salads, Chicken and lots of fruits. Dinner also comprises of more or less the same items.
More use of Seafood in Thai cuisine is clearly, an outcome of proximity to the sea; and more use of hot spices is a trademark of tropic climate.
Food also tells us the secret of Thai people’s smartness. Thai food is low in calories and it is moderately sweet unlike many Central Asian foods. Also, the meal timings are very important; Thai people take an early dinner (between 6 to 7 pm), that gives them a large window of time to digest the food, before they go to sleep, which is very healthy indeed. Also, the serving is very balanced and non-excessive, that ensures a healthy lifestyle.
Food helped me understand Thai culture in a much better way, where I found Thai people to be very culturally distinct and respectful.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kjkazi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.