Existing Member?

Travels in the Blogging World

More Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 13 October 2009 | Views [317] | Comments [1]

+Visited Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records.  Walked to the top.  Phew!   It climbs 47.22 meters, has average gradient of 1 in 3.14 meters, with the steepest section being 1 in 2.86.  In a word, it's steep!  Some of the houses are built in strange ways to accommodate the steep incline.

+Every year, there is a race on Baldwin Street and it's called the Baldwin Street Gutbuster.  Orange candies (made by Cadbury, of course, and called Jaffas) are rolled down the hill and chased after by children.

+Visited the Botanical Gardens and fed the ducks.

+Walked around the University of Otago campus and ate at the student union.  A very nice campus.

+Visited the museum once again.  Again, surprised at the quality of museums in Dunedin.

+Tomorrow have a bus journey planned to go to Lake Tekapo.

+Like in England, people in New Zealand like fruit cake.  At least, I see a lot for sale here. 

+Saw tubs of dripping in the supermarket (this will appeal to the English readers of this blog rather than the American ones).

+National dessert is pavlova (although the Australians claim it's their national dessert too).

+Vegemite brought out a variation which included cream cheese and asked people to come up with a new name for the product.  The company chose "iSnack 2.0".  Consumers then complained about the name making lots of negative posts on the Internet, so the company has changed the name to "Vegemite Cheeseybite."

+On the InterCity buses, there is a screen at the front of the bus which shows first the time and after a few minutes switches to the date before switching back to the time again after a few minutes.  Thsi goes on throughout the whole of the journey.  How many people on the bus, I wonder, need to be reminded of the date so frequently?!  I certainly don't. 

Comments

1

Hi Valda
We are following and enjoying your journey with you. You are now a true World Nomad! Welcome to this unique group of people!!
We love your facts and comments - keep them coming
Tenerife Buses also show date and time and I am curious to know why - I think we may just have to put it down to someone who thought it a good idea at the TIME!!Thankfully they have not got round to this idea in England yet - I don't think they dare as they are never on time.
Lots of love from your fellow World Nomads
Paul and Janet

  Paul and Janet Oct 15, 2009 8:37 AM

About kiwicadence


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.