Existing Member?

Travels in the Blogging World

Queenstown - Te Anau

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 9 October 2009 | Views [346]

A few more updates:

+Visited the underwater observatory in Queenstown and enjoyed the diving ducks - they can dive up to 8 meters under water and stay under for 45 seconds.

+Visited a McCafe - pretty upmarket!  Like a Starbucks really.  Also figured out that a flat white coffee is a cafe au lait.

+Saw bog pine, the slowest growing tree in the world.  Grows one foot every 100 years.

+All mammals have been introduced to NZ.  None is native.

+Birds here had no predators at first and plenty of food on the ground, so many lost the ability to fly, e.g., the kiwi.  When mammals were introduced, the result has been that 50% of NZ native birds are either extinct or on the endangered list.

+Ate at a Fergburger, described as "maybe NZ's best burger."  Mine was excellent although a little small compared to the "Big Al" featured on the menu:  "double serving of prime NZ beef (1/2 lb), lashings of bacon, a whole lotta cheese, two eggs, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, red onion, relish and a big wad of aioli."  And we thought it was the Americans who did things to excess!

+On the plane from Sydney to Auckland, the man sitting next to me cut his finger on a razor in his toiletries bag.  Last night in the hostel, a woman in my room also cut her finger on a razor in her toiletries bag.  Moral:  watch out for dangers in your toiletries bag, or (guys) grow beards and (women) don't bother shaving your legs.

+Traveled from Queenstown to Te Anau - once again, beautiful scenery (am I becoming repetitive?)

+Went through the deer capital of NZ.

+Finally tried lolly cake - a cake I've seen everywhere.  Very tasty, but very sweet.  Has brightly colored candy in it.

+Visited the Fiordland Visitors' Center, saw the movie there and exhibits.

+Visited the Dept. of Conservation Wildlife Center: birds in enclosures, including parakeets, the rare takahe, NZ pigeons, tui, kaka and some ducks.  The ducks I recognized!

About kiwicadence


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.