Existing Member?

Kerry's New Zealand Escape "Life is like fine wine. You'll enjoy it much more if you share it with others."

6 Month Update

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 7 April 2008 | Views [576]

Wow, time flies... I'm waaay due for a monthly update. So it's been over 6 months now and lots has happened since the last time I wrote a story. Firstly, I moved from Auckland to Wellington in the beginning of February. I took a road trip with my friend Rhys to New Plymouth and then after that short visit, we headed south to Wellington. Unfortunately, the relocation was a slow, yucky process. I stayed in the YHA hostel for a week until I was forced to move to a new one... (they only let people stay for 1 week). I moved right when the uni kids were heading back to school - lucky timing! So it was super hard to find a place to live! I moved to another hostel for 2 more weeks outside of the city in the suburb of Newtown. It was alright but the hostel was old and smelled musty. I kept freaking out wondering if I would ever find a home. My short termness made me a poor candidate for anyone looking to let their rooms. Eventually this nice guy, Johnny, saw my ad on Trademe.co.nz (yes, I put an ad up with the ad for rooms, of myself that needed a room) and invited me for a visit. All went well and I now live in the convenient suburb of Kelburn in a really nice flat. (You can see pix on "My Various Flats" picture link). Only one creepie character contacted me after posting my face on the website (like an Ebay) but I escaped with minimal harm.

As well as freaking out about a flat to live in, I was also jobless for a good 3 weeks and quickly burning through my funds saved from working in Auckland. I got a few temp jobs here and there but nothing really substantial. Luckily, about the time I found a flat, my recruitment agent found me an awesome job with the Inland Revenue Department of the NZ government as a project administrator. It's a 3 month contract position (which I am almost a month into at this point) and ends June 15th. It's going very well - I get paid TONS (!!) and it's busy but interesting work. I work on the KiwiSaver project which is an initiative the NZ govt created a few years ago to help Kiwi's save for their retirement. It's a great programme and I'm enjoying working in a project environment again. The only negative for working for the govt is that, UNLIKE every other kiwi company, they don't promote/provide drinks after work on Friday.

Anyway, recently my adventures have just included a quick weekend trip to the lovely city of Napier.. a 5 hour (yikes!) bus ride north east of Wellington. It was so pretty and it's known as the Art Deco city bc of all the architecture. I will have more to say in the pictures when I post them which was going to be tonight but I left my USB key at home so I can't save the pix and edit them... so I'll do it some other night. (And then 6 months go by... just kidding lol)

So I'll leave the update at this.... Hopefully I will get back into the story writing mindframe and give a few more updates before returning home. But that's all for now folks!

Later mates

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.