Existing Member?

A place mythologically historical!

Chitrakoot

INDIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [317] | Scholarship Entry

Go backpacking, as somehow spontaneous and unplanned trips turn out to be better than planned ones!
That’s how we headed for Chitrakoot, a small mythological place in the heart of India, located on the border of two states in India, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. It took us about one full day as we drove from Jhansi to Chitrakoot. However, this uneven and bumpy ride finally landed us in Chitrakoot a small village. I’m calling it a village, because it still maintains the charm of a simple life, without much network connectivity, the nearest filling station being roughly 30 to 40 kms and so is the ATM, it practically does give a feeling of being cut off from the rest of the world; or at peace with yourself, without any disturbance, (its upon you, how to take it!) and you can spend time with anyone else but nature!
Chitrakoot has its mythological significance as, it is said, to have hosted Lord Ram, his wife Sita and brother Laxman, during their time in exile. It is also believed, that it was here in Chitrakoot, that Hanuman ji had taken a dip in the water to relieve himself of his burning tail, after he had set ablaze Ravana’s Lanka.
Chitrakoot has it all required for perfect scenery, the hills, the river and a combination of terrain. River Godavari, which flows here, is so clean, that if you drop a coin into it you can actually locate it on the river bed. Boating on this, is an altogether relaxing experience; the locals have beautifully decorated boats, somewhat like the Shikara’s on the dal in Kashmir. And there are pet rabbits who accompany you for the ride, making it simply amazing, they come and sit next to you, jump on you, and if you try to catch them , they will run and hide behind the cushions or in the silhouettes’ of the curtains, so the ride doesn’t get monotonous at any point of time. Overlooking the, river there are ghats which light up at sunrise and at sunset for the “Ganga Aarti”! The view is spectacular, and the mood is completely spiritual.
Another exciting thing to do hear, is a visit to the gupt Godavari Caves, while some part of the caves have natural structures, which make you admire mother nature even more, the way out of the cave is only through a walk in the knee deep waters of the river, it is said that the level of the water never rises or falls, throughout the year. There are a lot more attractions here.
Spending time in Chitrakoot is completely rejuvenating experience not only for your mind and body, but even your soul!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.